Post Thanks / Like

Question Removing Rust From Bolt & Screw Heads On A Motorcycle?

I tried Iron Out that I picked up at the local Wal Mart but the results made very little difference, still leaving most of the rust on the surface.

From actual experience, what is the best way to get surface rust `completely` off bolt and screw heads on a motorcycle?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Rust From Bolt & Screw Heads On A Motorcycle?

There is this stuff called Naval Jelly. I think it`s manufactured by Loctite. It will remove rust from anything - apply, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse off. DO NOT get it on paint. Check it out, it`s never failed me.
    Likes Dispatch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E-Jag View Post
    There is this stuff called Naval Jelly. I think it`s manufactured by Loctite. It will remove rust from anything - apply, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse off. DO NOT get it on paint. Check it out, it`s never failed me.
    I`ve used that stuff before, it`s a thick pink jelly, the only problem in using that stuff is it`s too caustic to everything around it, I fear using it being the bolts are still in place, will eat up the paint around all the heads.

If I could get the bolts out, the old soaking in apple cider vinegar for about 12 hours would probably suffice but it`s not feasible to remove every single bolt and screw to do so...

Post Thanks / Like

Vinegar soaked paper towel or cloth, let dwell. Would be a start. I personally have a very strong acid, that i dilute for the job at hand. Just remember to ADD ACID TO WATER not the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like

Dispatch:
    Is this removal of rust from bolt & screw heads on a motorcycle for cosmetic appearance reasons OR to get to the bare metal to aid in their removal so as to prevent stripping the screw or bolt head for maintenance or restoration purposes.
    I say that because:
    1) What type of motorcycle? Vintage Japanese or some vintage USA manufacturer you want to retain the Original Equipment of Manufacturer (OEM) bolt or screw for authenticity or documented OEM of the motorbike to preserve its value?
    Either country of origin of the manufacturer, chances are you just cannot go down to the local hardware store and pick up a "replacement" bolt or screw, especially Japanese-spec (JIS) metric.
    If it is a Japanese motorcycle, make sure you use a JIS-specific screw driver for X-cross-drive screws and NOT a Phillips type. The X-cross-drive V-recess angle is different in a JIS screw than a Phillips Drive X-cross screw, even if it is an "identical" metric thread size. It is very easy to strip out a JIS screw cross-drive using Phillips screw driver! I say "identical" because the Japanese use "different" or non-standard metric thread diameters and pitches than ISO (International Standards organization) or German (DIN) metric threads for screws and bolts.

2) If it is more of a later model motorcycle, can you find replacement bolts and screws and do exactly that: remove/take out the old and replace them with a new one if it is more for cosmetic appearance reasons?

If the screw and bolt heads are rusty, I assume the threads are too, making removal and disassembly difficult or nearly impossible. I`ve used Kano Laboratories Kroil for this purpose as a penetrating oil rust buster. MUCH better than Liquid Wrench but also (MUCH) more expensive and only available from the manufacturer via mail-order. It is available in an aerosol spray can.

Once these screws or bolts are removed, can you use a wire brush on them or maybe felt geometric-shaped polishing bobs mounted in the chuck of a Dremel tool or cordless drill with some metal compound and/or polishes to sand and polish them to a respectable appearance? I put them in its exact mating thread-sized hex nut, tighten it down, and put it in a vise to hold them, with the nut acting as a protective holder to prevent damaging the screw or bolt threads being held by and clamped in the vise. Just an idea....

salty:
    I must commend you for your chemistry safety tip of adding acid to water and NOT water to acid.
    I found this out the hard way in high school MANY years ago in my Junior-year chemistry class. I put hydro-sulfuric acid to a larger test tube and then added water and it almost boiled out immediately. What I failed to remember is that water and acid when combined, create an exothermic reaction, meaning they generate heat. The small amount of water initially introduced into a test-tube of acid created an instant amount of heat and the test tube acted as a cannon, and thus the acid shot out and onto me. Fortunately I only had mild burns to where the acid landed on my exposed shirt that was not covered by my black acid-resistant chemistry apron. I did not have goggles or a face shield on, as in those days my sight-impaired corrective glasses took its place. I was lucky none got onto my face and baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate)and water neutralized the places where the acid landed, but the accident did ruin my new T-shirt with the high-school track team nomenclature on it I was wearing that day.
    (Jeesh, Captain Obvious, I think this about the 10th time or so you`ve told this SAME story in this forum! We know you are getting old when you tell the same stories over-and-over. Just sayin`.....!!!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Dispatch, salty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro IronX Paste for the least aggressive to apply with a brush. And letting it dwell for 30min. Depending on how much rust it needs to be desolving. It may work with 1 or 2 application if they are not to bad. Otherwise a set of a nano polishing kit you attach to a rotary polisher. You have a long hose like where you attach to the rotary and the other end small polishing cones. And just some metal polish to clean them up.
    Or look where they sell paint for vehicals. And a rust eater and masking tape where you don`t want it on. The best is to remove it and put it into an acidic bath of oxalic acid I think is the translation of it. English is not my first language LOL

Skickat från min SM-T736B via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Dispatch:
    Is this removal of rust from bolt & screw heads on a motorcycle for cosmetic appearance reasons OR to get to the bare metal to aid in their removal so as to prevent stripping the screw or bolt head for maintenance or restoration purposes.

Both, it`s got stuck bolts and is an eye sore to the bikes appearance.

I say that because:
    1) What type of motorcycle? Vintage Japanese or some vintage USA manufacturer you want to retain the Original Equipment of Manufacturer (OEM) bolt or screw for authenticity or documented OEM of the motorbike to preserve its value?

It`s an 08 Harley Davidson Road King that has sat exposed to the elements for the last 6 months.

Either country of origin of the manufacturer, chances are you just cannot go down to the local hardware store and pick up a "replacement" bolt or screw, especially Japanese-spec (JIS) metric.
    If it is a Japanese motorcycle, make sure you use a JIS-specific screw driver for X-cross-drive screws and NOT a Phillips type. The X-cross-drive V-recess angle is different in a JIS screw than a Phillips Drive X-cross screw, even if it is an "identical" metric thread size. It is very easy to strip out a JIS screw cross-drive using Phillips screw driver! I say "identical" because the Japanese use "different" or non-standard metric thread diameters and pitches than ISO (International Standards organization) or German (DIN) metric threads for screws and bolts.

2) If it is more of a later model motorcycle, can you find replacement bolts and screws and do exactly that: remove/take out the old and replace them with a new one if it is more for cosmetic appearance reasons?

I can but it would mean removing vital parts of the bike that would require readjustment and torquing in a major way.

If the screw and bolt heads are rusty, I assume the threads are too, making removal and disassembly difficult or nearly impossible. I`ve used Kano Laboratories Kroil for this purpose as a penetrating oil rust buster. MUCH better than Liquid Wrench but also (MUCH) more expensive and only available from the manufacturer via mail-order. It is available in an aerosol spray can.

Once these screws or bolts are removed, can you use a wire brush on them or maybe felt geometric-shaped polishing bobs mounted in the chuck of a Dremel tool or cordless drill with some metal compound and/or polishes to sand and polish them to a respectable appearance? I put them in its exact mating thread-sized hex nut, tighten it down, and put it in a vise to hold them, with the nut acting as a protective holder to prevent damaging the screw or bolt threads being held by and clamped in the vise. Just an idea....

salty:
    I must commend you for your chemistry safety tip of adding acid to water and NOT water to acid.
    I found this out the hard way in high school MANY years ago in my Junior-year chemistry class. I put hydro-sulfuric acid to a larger test tube and then added water and it almost boiled out immediately. What I failed to remember is that water and acid when combined, create an exothermic reaction, meaning they generate heat. The small amount of water initially introduced into a test-tube of acid created an instant amount of heat and the test tube acted as a canon, and thus the acid shot out and onto me. Fortunately I only had mild burns to where the acid landed on my exposed shirt that was not covered by my black acid-resistant chemistry apron. I did not have goggles or a face shield on, as in those days my sight-impaired corrective glasses took its place. I was lucky none got onto my face and baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate)and water neutralized the places where the acid landed, but the accident did ruin my new T-shirt with the high-school track team nomenclature on it I was wearing that day.
    (Jeesh, Captain Obvious, I think this about the 10th time or so you`ve told this SAME story in this forum! We know you are getting old when you tell the same stories over-and-over. Just sayin`.....!!!)
    Thanks...
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use rust oleum rust remover it’s a gel in trigger sprayer like navel jelly but easier to work with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I use rust oleum rust remover it’s a gel in trigger sprayer like navel jelly but easier to work with
    Is it caustic?

How is it when touching surrounding surfaces like paint?

Looking it up online, my local Lowe`s has it in stock...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I bought some from my local Wal-Mart and tried it out today.

It seems to work but it says on the label to let sit for 30 minutes and not to let it dry, so you have to keep applying it, it does remove the rust, but it leaves behind a grey finish... Shrug 2.gif

Thread Information