Hi everyone, I`m in the process of buying a 2005 Sea Ray 390 Motor Yacht. It has a lot of fiberglass! The boat is in very good condition for its age, and the current owner has kept up the gelcoat remarkably well. I`ve had smaller boats before, and must admit I was never very good about polishing/waxing. But with this Sea Ray I want to do my best to keep up the gelcoat. I`ll probably divide it into sections, so if the wife and I do a weekend on the boat I`ll spend a few hours and polish-wax a certain part of it and hopefully can wax the whole thing a couple times over the course of a year.

Does anybody have any recommendations for products or techniques? I have Makita rotary and Porter Cable 7424 polishers. On my cars I use Lake Country purple foamed wool and various foam pads. On cars I tend to use Meguiar`s 105 and 205 polishes when necessary, and Klasse AIO with a Collinite 845 liquid wax topper. I`m thinking the Klasse and Collinite would work well on gelcoat too, but how about the polishing compounds? Should I use one designed for gelcoat, or is that unnecessary? Or could I save time with a 1-step cleaner wax if I`m doing it twice a year?