Post Thanks / Like
    I am detailing a 256 Chaparral. It had black sides with the bottom and top being white. The gel coat is not heavily oxidized so I figured it would be a breeze. Boy was I wrong. I just can`t seem to get it to finish out good. I got all the water spots and such out of it but there is still lots of hazing. There are some pretty deep scratches from buoys that I can`t get out but I am less concerned with them.

I have tried Meguiars #44 color restorer, #45 high gloss polish, #49 oxidation remover, 3m color/gloss restorer, and finesse-it II and I am still getting hazing. I have tried many different combos and pads.

I have a DA7424 with LC orange, green, white, blue, black and foamed wool pads. nothing seems to finish it off right.

The foamed wool pads I started with made it horribly hazy. Had to really polish it out to try and get the color back.

Some advice would be great as to where to go from here. Maybe I am just missing something.

I have a good arsenal of car products to tap into as well so any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks!!

Scott

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner -first step cleaner (prior to polishing) restores blemished fiberglass, restores neglected finishes affected by weathering

Shurhold Buff Magic - formulated with jeweller’s rouge to be a metal polish, as well as a buffing and polishing cream. This unique formula changes as you use it. With each pass of a buffer the proprietary abrasives in this diminishing compound break down. By varying the size of the abrasive a differing cut is obtained, so the more the abrasives are reduced in size the finer the resultant finish until the particles are reduced to a very fine powder, which in turn produces a burnished surface shine.

This effectively creates a compound that can work your finish from very dull to ultra glossy with just one product. Additionally, since you do not have to switch products, this will save you time and money. Removes: oxidation, gel coat stains, surface rust, tarnish, Plexiglas scratches and 1000 > grit scratches (Rotary speed 1000 – 12000 RPM)
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner -first step cleaner (prior to polishing) restores blemished fiberglass, restores neglected finishes affected by weathering

Shurhold Buff Magic - formulated with jeweller’s rouge to be a metal polish, as well as a buffing and polishing cream. This unique formula changes as you use it. With each pass of a buffer the proprietary abrasives in this diminishing compound break down. By varying the size of the abrasive a differing cut is obtained, so the more the abrasives are reduced in size the finer the resultant finish until the particles are reduced to a very fine powder, which in turn produces a burnished surface shine.

This effectively creates a compound that can work your finish from very dull to ultra glossy with just one product. Additionally, since you do not have to switch products, this will save you time and money. Removes: oxidation, gel coat stains, surface rust, tarnish, Plexiglas scratches and 1000 > grit scratches (Rotary speed 1000 – 12000 RPM)

I don`t have a rotary so can I use a DA? if so what pads?

also I don`t have any of the the Buff Magic.

I kinda need to work with what i have and i am on a time crunch now.

Any advice would be really helpful!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for the buff magic I have tried it and gave it away.....As long as majority for the oxidation is gone. Try some megs#66 or #205 then #3 followed by #20 for protection. You can thank me later....If the oxidation if not gone try #66 with a cutting pad.....I have detailed many many boats. I do work with a rotary 99% of the time. Meg`s #85 works very well on gelcoat to remove the heavier oxidation with a wool pad on a rotary. I normally follow that up with #205 then #3 if I am energetic. Optimums Hyper compound/polish also work very well on boats. I always seem to come back to Meg`s #20 or #21 for protection.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Two questions.

1. How old is it and did it set in the sun most of the time?

2. Any indication that it has been buffed sometime in it`s past?

Grumpy

Thread Information