Post Thanks / Like
    I am doing a teak deck hatch that is 40x12 and the boards are 1x6.I was asking what is best to finish after sanding?I want to use a polyurathane? out in a wet enviroment and the uv exposure?what is the best product to put on? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Teak oil only. No other coatings, just put of several coats of teak oil.

If in doubt, go to a West Marine or Boat USA store or their websites and ask them.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a shame that people are using teak wood. Teak is an endangered tree around the world. We should respect our environment a little more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polyurethane or varnish will not bond to teak wood. Like Ron said use teak oil after sanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Teak oil only. No other coatings, just put of several coats of teak oil.

If in doubt, go to a West Marine or Boat USA store or their websites and ask them.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently cleaned a teak swim platform on a Ski Nautique. Not wanting to F... it up, I called West Marine and they gave me their tech support line, best 20 minutes I`ve had in a while. That guy was an old veteran of boating, the marine version of Grumpy! I took every bit of his advice, do NOT sand it, clean it! West Marine carries this stuff called Te-Ka Teak Cleaner kit, $34.99, go ahead and get a couple 1.5" paint brushes too. Now, get 2 solo cups, need one for Part A and Part B, label them and the paint brushes, wet the teak, apply Part A, wait 5 minutes, apply Part B, then hose off, mine took a second round. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection!

Let it fully dry, 24-48 hours, add Teak Oil!

Done
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superchat
    It is a shame that people are using teak wood. Teak is an endangered tree around the world. We should respect our environment a little more.

And use ONR to save water??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pictures of what it looks like after A & B, but before applying teak oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I recently cleaned a teak swim platform on a Ski Nautique. Not wanting to F... it up, I called West Marine and they gave me their tech support line, best 20 minutes I`ve had in a while. That guy was an old veteran of boating, the marine version of Grumpy! I took every bit of his advice, do NOT sand it, clean it! West Marine carries this stuff called Te-Ka Teak Cleaner kit, $34.99, go ahead and get a couple 1.5" paint brushes too. Now, get 2 solo cups, need one for Part A and Part B, label them and the paint brushes, wet the teak, apply Part A, wait 5 minutes, apply Part B, then hose off, mine took a second round. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection!

Let it fully dry, 24-48 hours, add Teak Oil!

Done

Post Thanks / Like
    When teak is aged a bit, and you clean it and then let it totally dry, it`s almost white without the teak oil added.

The Egg Harbor a partner and I had in the mid 80`s (46 foot sport fisherman)had the whole bow area and down both side gunel`s in teak. Boat was built in 1978. We bought it out of a divorce settlement in 85 and due to setting in a storage slip for a year, the teak was very dry.

Cleaned it, let it dry, put on 3 coats of teak oil, waiting a day between coats, and it was great for a year.

When noticed it turning a bit "white", would clean and add another coat.

Sold the boat in 87 when the price of crude went to the bottom and so did our company.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by superchat

Sustainably harvested, plantation grown teak is commonly available.

It`s very easy to built with environmentally responsible lumber if one chooses to. (It`s also illegal to import poached or otherwise illegally harvested lumber into the US.)

pc

Thread Information