Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

I want to polish the paint on my 2008 HD Road King. It has some minor defects but nothing serious. I was thinking about buying the Griots 3" orbital but wondering if its effective and its ability to fit in tight spaces. I`d like to be able to polish the tank without removing it from the bike. I`m concerned about the front of the tank where it meets the head tube. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZMISL
    Hi All,

I want to polish the paint on my 2008 HD Road King. It has some minor defects but nothing serious. I was thinking about buying the Griots 3" orbital but wondering if its effective and its ability to fit in tight spaces. I`d like to be able to polish the tank without removing it from the bike. I`m concerned about the front of the tank where it meets the head tube. Any ideas?

The 3" GG isn`t stout enough for much serious correction. You generally need to use more aggressive pad/polish combos than you normally would due to the limitation of pressure before the pad stops rotating. You`re not going to get in the front of the tank with it... but how bad can defects be there and how visible are they? It`s a small enough area to do by hand, IMO. Still, the GG 3" is a handy little tool. Results depend on what you`re going to ask it to do.

If it`s Vivid Black, good luck! Softest I ever worked on and it took about 6 months of experimenting with processes and materials before I discovered how to get that soft stuff to finish well. Then it swirls again if you look cross-eyed at it. Mines getting Opti Coat this winter in an effort to impart some swirl resistance.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Griot`s 3" RO that I use in every detailing job I do.

As TLMitchell stated, it is the pad and poilsh combination that counts. You may have to work the polisher a little more, but I have gotten good results with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have one and it works just fine. for the front of the tank you`ll probably have to do it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell
    The 3" GG isn`t stout enough for much serious correction. You generally need to use more aggressive pad/polish combos than you normally would due to the limitation of pressure before the pad stops rotating. You`re not going to get in the front of the tank with it... but how bad can defects be there and how visible are they? It`s a small enough area to do by hand, IMO. Still, the GG 3" is a handy little tool. Results depend on what you`re going to ask it to do.

If it`s Vivid Black, good luck! Softest I ever worked on and it took about 6 months of experimenting with processes and materials before I discovered how to get that soft stuff to finish well. Then it swirls again if you look cross-eyed at it. Mines getting Opti Coat this winter in an effort to impart some swirl resistance.

TL

Well, here`s a picture of my bike. I`ve never polished HD paint before so I don`t know what to expect. I was considering polishing with Menzerna PF106FA (since I already have it). Can you use that stuff by hand? If the paint is really soft though, maybe the Menzerna might be too much since it cuts ceramic clears. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes you use pf106 by hand. try a test spot to see if you get the results you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the first-gen Griot`s 3" (second one, the first died during its maiden detail ). I hardly ever use it any more, preferring a 3" plate on a regular (i.e., full-size) RO. But I do plan to get their pneumatic 3", which I hear is a very different animal entirely.

Post Thanks / Like
    And it cheaper by a few bucks. I wonder if my Makita MAC2400 compressor has enough balls to run that thing. Its rated at 4.2CFM at 90psi.

I`m curious about this soft Harley paint though.....that makes me nervous. How effective is the 106 when used by hand? I thought I read somewhere to never use polishes designed for machines by hand or did I read wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking Classic! `08? You`re fortunate the Vivid Black is on the lower portions out of direct sunlight. Any micromarring won`t be seen.

Most H-D paints I`ve done polish like medium hard but the black swirls and marrs like the softest I`ve ever seen. Never had a problem with the fenders or fiberglass, just the tanks out of York. Baggers and Softails are difficult to finish well and they swirl if you look at `em. Sportsters and Dynas, no problem. The fiberglass gets painted at Tomahawk, Sporties and Dynas come out of KC. I`ve learned the clear on the tanks are actually clear powdercoat vs traditional clear. Perhaps for fuel spillage resistance? I dunno. But it`s obvious they`re doing something different in York than at the other plants. I don`t think you`ll find that paint problematic. The colors and metallics really polish up nice... it`s just the Vivid Black that can be a PITA.

As for the 106FA, ought to work fine. I prefer non-diminishing abrasives when working by hand though. Less work.

You`ve got to sniff around to find a variety of 3" pads. The GG orange works well with both M105 & D300. The Meg`s 3+" MF pads work well on the GG too. For aiming for perfection on the black I generally use Ultrafina or 85RD with a light blue 3M 3" pad available at Autogeek. AG also carries 3.5" PFW. Richard Lin carries some orange and white 3+" LC CCS pads at his Showcardetailing.com store.

If you have any significant marring, swirling or light scratches and don`t want to shop for small sizes online you might consider Meg`s Ultimate Compound OTC. Works well on the GG 3" orange pads and finishes pretty nice, works well by hand as well. If you`re looking for that extra pop you can then go to the 106 on a finishing pad. You`re still going to have other areas besides tha front of the tank to do by hand.... the areas on the fenders where the forks or rear struts etc prevent machine polishing.

I`d advise pulling the console to polish the tank... lots easier than trying to work in close with it taped off. If you get polish on the black trim strip or under the edge of the console you`ll need some sort of brush to get it off and you`ll probably mark the tank.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of Porter Cable polishers, one with a 6" backing plate and one with a 3" backing plate. I use the small pads a LOT for touch ups, tight spots, etc. It`s a good thing to have around.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    I have a pair of Porter Cable polishers, one with a 6" backing plate and one with a 3" backing plate. I use the small pads a LOT for touch ups, tight spots, etc. It`s a good thing to have around.

You bring up a good point. Will I save that much space with the Griots over a PC with a 3" backing plate? I think not. If I can save $100 I`ll go that route.

Thread Information