Post Thanks / Like
    I`m fully buffing and detailing a 55` yacht similar to the one in this pic.

http://theboatpictures.com/wp-conten..._A55_Yacht.jpg

In past large yachts I`ve always been able to get the brow, the roof over the lower "windshield" of the craft, by reaching over the cockpit area and hanging my upper body over the edge to reach with my buffer.

This yacht however is bigger, it has a big cage built around the fly bridge so there is no leaning over. The only way I can get access to that brow is to climb up over the windshield, standing on the window pain supports, and then stand there precariously. There is no way to operate a buffer on this steeply angled portion of the yacht, without slipping backwards into the glass and falling through it!

How can I get up there and safely buff that area? The boat is in the water as I work on it, making it all the more unstable. Is there anyone who does work to large yachts with some insight here? I don`t want to have to tell the customer that I can`t get it. It looks horrible oxidized when the rest of the gel-coat around it is restored.
    Andrew

On The Spot Mobile Detailing

Serving Saint John and Surrounding Area

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I am not there, this may not work.

First thing I would do is talk to the owner and explain that you may have an answer but will cost him to pay extra for the rental of some scaffoling from a tool rental store.

Of course you need to make sure it can be set up on the bow area, securely.

There is the issue of your being able to secure it, but with enough rope clets, some good rope, etc should work.

That MAY be the way to go.

If this should work, and you have other large yachts to do, you may want to check around, like Harbor Frieght for some of these and just own a set.

Let me know.

PS, back in the mid 80`s when I had a 46` Egg, I used something like this I borrowed from a fellow owner who was in the dry wall business.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    This is right along the lines of what I was thinking. I do own some scaffolding that I usually use in the spring and fall when the boats are in cradles on shore. In this case however, the places on deck where standing the scaffolding is possible do not line up with the area in question. Also I don`t believe I could set up my rickety old scaffolding on the deck of any craft without causing damage to the surface.

This got me thinking that it may be possible to secure myself to a rope, which would be secured to the big tubing cage around the fly bridge, and use that to take my weight and hold myself in place like a repeller going over the edge of a mountain. But this I would not attempt without actual climbing gear/harness. Thinking is one thing, doing is another!

As of this afternoon the customer is enjoying the weekend on the water with his almost restored yacht.
    Andrew

On The Spot Mobile Detailing

Serving Saint John and Surrounding Area

Post Thanks / Like
    Use large industrial suction cups that will secure to the surface. Make sure the load rating is well beyond your weight and tools. With multiple cups you will be able to work your way across. For an extra margin of safety you could secure yourself to the tubing of the bridge, a harness isn`t that much money $30-$80 and will also help in cleaning such areas in the future. I saw another guy eat it off the brow of a Sunseeker Predator a few weeks ago and never saw him return after hobling off the boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I`m really late to this thread. OnTheSpot, I`m in Jax Beach if anything like this comes up again. I`m from Lauderdale and Palm Beach originally, I`ve been a mate and lead deckhand on superyachts for the past 10 years, so I know quite a few tricks to overcome your situation from a few months ago.. PM me if you ever need help in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that`s my boat!

Yup, mine, for sure.

That`s Margie up top.

That`s Yvette getting a few rays up front.

I`m down in the galley mixing up three more cocktails and that`s why you can`t actually see my smiling face.

Yup, that`s my boat all right.

Thread Information