it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I know long time I`ve been on the forum. I`m so busy with my career, school and personal life. Anyway, my question deals with All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) or commonly known as `quads`. My friend purchased an older one, that the plastic was repainted. It was originally green, but the previous owner must have just spray painted it over with white. It`s pretty durable the white, but there are clearly spots that it`s peeling.

I`m wondering what would work good at stripping the white paint off? I was thinking of trying Airplane Remover, as I used it with great success on flaking caliper paint, but it`s too strong, and will eat the plastic. I`m now thinking either lacquer thinner or paint thinner? I`m thinking try in a small spot, and go from there. I just figured I ask since my friend is away till Monday, and I wanna get an idea of what would be good, or if anyone has experience with this.

I know if we we`re doing a full restore the process would be too strip, than go crazy sanding, and wet sanding followed by spray, but we`re not looking to get that involved. We just want the white off, and the green looking as good as we can. The quad is a 1994, so it`s quite old.

Thanks!

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried paint thinner, brake fluid and WD-40 with no success. We we`re just gonna repaint them, so when i was removing the residue from a sticker with Goof Off I noticed it was doing the job. The Goof Off Professional Strength worked pretty good and with some elbow grease got it to it`s original green color.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Mar-Hyde Aircraft Coating Remover on my Honda 400ex fenders that were painted black. It worked great & didnt hurt the plastic at all. After this I used some degreaser to clean it up good, then wiped it down good with laquer thinner & applied 4 thin coats of Future floor wax & it looks almost as good as new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used PeelAway 6 Paint stripper available at Lowe`s Home Centers. I have stripped a Fiero and 2 motorcycles with no damage to the plastic at all. It works fast and easy. It is also mild enough you don`t need gloves or a mask while using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure its painted? Could it be the actual plastic or a tinted coat of plastic on there? Did you see any paint transfer with thinner?

As long as the surface doesn`t have any major scratches and in good shape I wouldn`t worry about stripping the paint. I would just scuff and primer and then base coat, clear coat it.
    BGB Mobile Detailing Service -ASE & I-Car certified Refinishing Technician as of 8/12/08

78 Monte -01 Monte LSX -04 KB Cobra(SOLD) -10 2SS Camaro

Thread Information