Thread: Boat question

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not new to detailing but I am to boats, so please excuse my ignorance. Coming up I am going to have detail one of my client`s boats. I have done one boat before but it was smaller (around 16 ft.). This one is a 31 ft. Jupiter, its a very nice boat. Heres a link to the boat.

The owner tells me its in pretty good shape, he said in the past detailers have burned into the paint in a few places but hes had it painted in spots. To my understanding I`ll probably be doing a light polishing step and then waxing and cleaning out the boat.

Basically I`m looking for recommendations on some products I would need. I was planning on using Optimum Polish II to go over it then some sort of wax. I am planning on buying some 8" pads as the biggest I have are 6.5". Also what would you recommend for cleaning the rest of the boat? It doesn`t appear to have much vinyl and I have all the standard APC, vinyl, leather, carpet cleaners, but is there anything else I might need? Also anything special you would recommend for chrome?

He mentioned past detailers had burned the paint in places, are paint on boats normally exceptionally thin, or was it just some hacks that the marina hired? If so what would be some recommendations on pad/polish combos. I am considering LC hydro tech cyan or the CCS green/white pad with the optimum polish II. Does this sound like a good combo?

Finally, as this is the first large boat I`ve done, can anyone give me some ball park estimates of what you think I should charge this guy. Hes a family friend and is paying for me to come down to Destin for 3 or 4 days to do this so I want to give him a good price but its still got to be worth my time. I`m thinking no less than $500. Thanks for your input and sorry for the long post.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think you need to wait, until you have a bit more experience, boats are a lot of work. I think you need to search the threads and learn.

cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Greg. Experience is a must. You should actually train with a boat/yacht detailer. If you are doing a full detail (top-side & hull, metals, vinyl, etc., paint correction) $500 is giving the work away, friend or not

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand needing more experience. If the boat wasn`t in very good shape I wouldn`t be doing it. If you have any input I would appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    you need to use some wool pads, the foam are okay but increase the time. If your not careful with a rotary you will yellow the white GC (burn). Find some Megs marine polishes or 3M forget the Optimum its working time is too long for GC.

Use 303 on the vinyl to protect.

Cheers,

GREG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bunch of PFW pads, would these work? I will look into the megs marine polishes. The opt polish does have a very long work time, I just have always liked how well it worked in direct sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    PFW will be better for a finishing step, I will depend upon how much needs to be improved.

cheers,

Thread Information