Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys. I`m taking on quite a beast of a project in detailing a 32 foot boat. The boat is fairly new and has been kept in good shape. I`m halfway done with the hull - and have been using automotive products, although I suspect there are better suited marine products available for the gelcoated finish. I have so far done a two step process of optimum hyper compound applied via PC, followed up by collinite 885 fleetwax with `good` results although the finish is not perfectly clear, there are minor imperfections in the finish. I do have and am experienced with a rotary buffer - although with so much hull I did not want to have to clean up after a rotary with the PC as an extra step. Does anyone have a recommendation on a polish to use with a foam pad and rotary that will get a little more correction yet still finish cleanly? It`s a white gelcoat.

Secondly, the top deck is covered with what I guess I`ll call a `diamond cut` anti-skid surface. I would imagine this would shred up a foam pad pretty quickly. Normally when cleaning it, soft scrub does the trick, or occasionally starbrite hull and deck cleaner with PTEF. What sort of products/process would bring this area to the next level?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`Lightman`]Hey guys. I`m taking on quite a beast of a project in detailing a 32 foot boat. The boat is fairly new and has been kept in good shape. I`m halfway done with the hull - and have been using automotive products, although I suspect there are better suited marine products available for the gelcoated finish. I have so far done a two step process of optimum hyper compound applied via PC, followed up by collinite 885 fleetwax with `good` results although the finish is not perfectly clear, there are minor imperfections in the finish. I do have and am experienced with a rotary buffer - although with so much hull I did not want to have to clean up after a rotary with the PC as an extra step. Does anyone have a recommendation on a polish to use with a foam pad and rotary that will get a little more correction yet still finish cleanly? It`s a white gelcoat.

Wool pads are the only way for gelcoat

try some Finess it with an orange foamer, but then try it with a wool pad I think you will be blown away by the difference of the wool

try some woodywax on the nonskid.........otherwise never wax nonskid

the woody wax is made for non skid

Post Thanks / Like
    Use some sort of floor wax for the non-skid if you cannot get ahold of woody wax. I prefer pledge floor wax. Suprisingly it works great on non-skid and leaves a nice shine, but yet is not slippery which would defeat the purpose of non-skid!

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks..are you doing anything to buff or polish the non skid sections before applying woodywax or just cleaning well?

Post Thanks / Like
    wool, wool, wool, wool!! lay into too like its your *****

dont wax non skid. especially diamond cut. no reason to. Just clean it. If it is a non-coarse then maybe buff it but no wax. and get PAID for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman
    Thanks..are you doing anything to buff or polish the non skid sections before applying woodywax or just cleaning well?

No the woody wax just puts a nice no slick shine, the trick is to wet the deck and spray a small amount then hit it with a soft deck brush. A small amount goes a long way

Thread Information