Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Never really understood the whole "Can`t do a boat with a PC" thing. I did a 20` Invader with a PC and it came out great! I now use a FLEX for all my details and wouldn`t hesitate to use it, and some PFW`s, to tackle the gel coat on another boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mose
    Never really understood the whole "Can`t do a boat with a PC" thing. I did a 20` Invader with a PC and it came out great! I now use a FLEX for all my details and wouldn`t hesitate to use it, and some PFW`s, to tackle the gel coat on another boat.

I guess it depends on the shape of the boat. I did an 86 SeaNyph and the PC would not put a dent in this thing. It REALLY needed to be wet sanded but the owner did not want that. I had to use a high speed and a heavy cut polish and pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    So yeah, I ended up wet sanding the top of the boat, it was in pretty bad shape. Still finishing up my compounding and polishing on one half, but the top half that is done looks awesome. I`ll try to take some pics tomorrow of the progress.

Gotta say, didn`t expect to cut my rotary teeth on a boat, and with wool pads at that. At least I can`t burn gel coat. :lol
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan - World Rally Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother has 7 years of auto detailing, and 5 years of boat detailing/fiberglass work under his belt. I asked him a few weeks ago what the difference is, and he told me to just dive right in with an orbital, a wool pad and some compound. "Don`t be afraid of it" he said. The gel coat is just that. A gel. It will take a LOT of abuse and come out looking great.

The only experience I have is with an orbital buffer and a foam pad on cars and trucks. I always tried to stay far away from the wool. I thought he was insane.

Did you do the top deck also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me chalk up another NO vote. Did one and I`ll

never do another.

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends on how bad the condition is on the boat. You can use your PC to apply wax and compound. (lightly) You can use Malco Tru Grit compound to level out the gel coat and bring back some shine. Once the dullness has been reduced, you can apply a coat of Garry`s or Collinite to protect the gel coat.

There is a lot of money in boats, it may make sense for you to become better equipped or learn from a professional marine detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first time I used a rotary was on a boat that wasn`t mine.

A 9" Milwaukee single-speed, I learned quick!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used a PC to do my 23` Bayliner. LC Orange pad and a light compound was enough to get oxidation out. Then polished.

The only thing you are going to have a problem with is Time. It takes forever, and working on the bottom of the boat doing the hull is going to kill your arms. Total time on the boat without counting interior was 8 hours.

I will admit that I needed the rotary for the rear of the boat including the deck as they tend to get beat up the most.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you have have rotary polished boats, are holograms as much of an issue with boats as they are with clear coats on cars?

I ask because some time I read a post about someone who polished a boat with wool and a heavy compound (M105 maybe?) and that was all this detailer used for polishing. My initial thought was that haul is going to have holograms all over it but then wondered if that is an issue with gel coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had hologram problems with the boats that I have done. However, I have yet to do a hull that wasn`t white. A blue/red hull may be different.

I have also burned straight into the gel coat of the family wave runner when I was 16. That was going full speed on a rotary. And the rest of the wave runner was fine, no holograms, with the exception of the burn spot. I had to buff that thing every weekend to get the water spots out so naturally I was young and impatient. I think that you would have to be careless and have dirt on your pad in order to cause holograms on a boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information