Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay my friend just got a 01` cbr f4 and is wanting to detail it, need some advise, as far as what you use polishing, cleaning and etc, and what should I charge him, light scratches on the gas tank fyi
    United States Air Force

Missile Maintenance Technician

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    You won`t need anything special. An adequate supply of 4 inch pads when using a machine and whatever polishes you typically use. Least aggressive first. The fairings on the F4 and F4i models are pretty conducive to machine polishing with the more sweeping lines compared to newer models. The tank won`t pose any significant issues but you will need to watch heat buildup in the plastic fairings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by etml12
    You won`t need anything special. An adequate supply of 4 inch pads when using a machine and whatever polishes you typically use. Least aggressive first. The fairings on the F4 and F4i models are pretty conducive to machine polishing with the more sweeping lines compared to newer models. The tank won`t pose any significant issues but you will need to watch heat buildup in the plastic fairings.

Okay whats the best machine to use?
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m far from a Zaino fan, but ZPC is a fantastic polish by hand for those areas that a machine can`t get to. Bikes usually have some deep scuffs that you won`t be able to get out fully, so just learn to live with them. Make sure to use a quality degreaser when washing and get the wheels and suspension really clean, that makes a big difference in the final look

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    I`m far from a Zaino fan, but ZPC is a fantastic polish by hand for those areas that a machine can`t get to. Bikes usually have some deep scuffs that you won`t be able to get out fully, so just learn to live with them. Make sure to use a quality degreaser when washing and get the wheels and suspension really clean, that makes a big difference in the final look

I washed my friends bike today to get use to them haha, I use soap warm water and washed everything with that, then washed wheels with eagle 1 all wheel cleaner, then dried everything with micro towel, and threw some black magic on the tires real quick made it look very good! What speed with buffer can u buff on the plastic fairings using (pc)?
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailnByDustn
    I washed my friends bike today to get use to them haha, I use soap warm water and washed everything with that, then washed wheels with eagle 1 all wheel cleaner, then dried everything with micro towel, and threw some black magic on the tires real quick made it look very good! What speed with buffer can u buff on the plastic fairings using (pc)?

Please tell me you are kidding about the black magic on the tires....

Post Thanks / Like
    ... and threw some black magic on the tires real quick

That would be very very dangerous. :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... do you have something against your friend? LOL, I really hope it was ONLY on the sidewall, and even if that is a terrible terrible idea because it could fling or soak into the tire...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Please tell me you are kidding about the black magic on the tires....

Only thing at the car wash for tires, haha well could of used armor all, dang it why didnt I think of that would of been better than crap magic, I hate black magic, worst products in the world. I use more shine by stoners most of the time, or meguiars endurance shine.

Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    That would be very very dangerous. :nono

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by not7fifteen
    Wow... do you have something against your friend? LOL, I really hope it was ONLY on the sidewall, and even if that is a terrible terrible idea because it could fling or soak into the tire...

I`m not new, but that was a newbie mistake, sorry autopian fans Ill slap my self for that one haha
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    No seriously you don`t ever put any type of armor all or anything on the sidewalls of a motorcycle tire. You only have 2 tires holding you up on the road and when you make them slick you are just asking for trouble. The bike can slide out like nobodys business. Its not the fact that you used (Black Magic) brand, its the horrible idea to put a slick additive to a motorcycle tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha

I`m not joking....applying any dressing to motorcycle tires is extremely dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by not7fifteen
    No seriously you don`t ever put any type of armor all or anything on the sidewalls of a motorcycle tire. You only have 2 tires holding you up on the road and when you make them slick you are just asking for trouble. The bike can slide out like nobodys business. Its not the fact that you used (Black Magic) brand, its the horrible idea to put a slick additive to a motorcycle tire.

Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    I`m not joking....applying any dressing to motorcycle tires is extremely dangerous.

Really wow, learn something new, even to the side walls where the wheel doesnt hit the pavement
    United States Air Force

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    Really wow, learn something new, even to the side walls where the wheel doesnt hit the pavement

Being that he has a Honda F4 of some sort, chances are good that his sidewalls are positively tiny, and the chances of making some sort of contact in a turn (particulary if it`s a bumpy road) increase the chances that he may very well make contact with the road.

Really with motorcycle tires, just scrup the bayjesus out of them with good old fashioned car wash and a tire brush. Degreasers can be ok, just be sure to dilute them as they can suck some of the natural oils out of the tires, which is something else you don`t want.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be one thing if you were making this choice for yourself but you are detailing for others and in that case do you really think it is worth the risk?????

Tire dressings have no place anywhere near a motorcycle tire, even the minuscule sidewall!

While we are talking about dressings you should also avoid slick dressings on the seat as well. There are plenty of dressings that leave behind a non-slippery surface. Might want to ask the rider what he wants. I tend to NOT like sliding around on the seat but it can make it easier to hang off the bike when cornering. It is a matter of personal preference...

Post Thanks / Like

It would be one thing if you were making this choice for yourself but you are detailing for others and in that case do you really think it is worth the risk?????

Tire dressings have no place anywhere near a motorcycle tire, even the minuscule sidewall!

While we are talking about dressings you should also avoid slick dressings on the seat as well. There are plenty of dressings that leave behind a non-slippery surface. Might want to ask the rider what he wants. I tend to NOT like sliding around on the seat but it can make it easier to hang off the bike when cornering. It is a matter of personal preference...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information