Post Thanks / Like
    With no customer cars to do today I figured I would tackle my boat since I have neglected it for a while. I ran into a problem though.

Started out with a 2000 grit wet sand and then used Megs Marine #49 on a Makita rotary. Used Megs Ultimate Compound on a section but found that it did nothing for the finish.

Then used Megs #45 with my PC and it left an ok shine. Nothing spectacular but I think from the years of neglect from previous owners this is the best I may get out of it.

I tried topping it with Opti-Seal and it actually took the shine away in some spots. I couldn`t capture it with my camera unfortunately.

So I figured I would use some Mothers QD on the spots and that made it worse yet.

So I went back over with the #45 and called it a night.

Is there a cure time with #45 before I move on or what could be my problem here?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were you I would move down to 1000 grit and work back up to 2000. And I would never use a clear coat product on your boat go get some star brite compound or even there cleaner wax to get the sand scratches out. go back over with there marine polish

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive seen people get great results from Meguiars & 3M car products on boat finishes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Polishing
    If I were you I would move down to 1000 grit and work back up to 2000. And I would never use a clear coat product on your boat go get some star brite compound or even there cleaner wax to get the sand scratches out. go back over with there marine polish

I have seen quite a few people get good results from cc products. Which is why I tried an area on mine.

I did 2000 in another area again tonight. Cleaned well. Then used #49 on a PC, think it was a yellow pad. Cleaned well again. Hit it with the #45 and I didn`t get any streaking or dull spots this time. I put on DG 105 and it actually gave me more depth than before.

I am thinking its all in the wet sanding and making sure its 100% clean before proceeding.

Think I`ll hit up the body supply store tomorrow and get some more paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    if your using 49 you may as well skip the 200 wetsand...49 is fairly abrasive on its own and will cut just as deep as the 2000....use it on a 3M Woool Superbuff 2+2 pad...spin the machine at 1000rpm spreading theh compound and dont be afraid to use some product (this is not like a car where you only need a little product) once spread and wet buzz the polisher up to 2000-2500rpm and work a small section at a time....as the 49 breaks down it polishes up well......you may need to do it twice to get nice results on a crappy boat....

foam pads are a waste of time when trying to CUT on gelcoat....the 3M Superbuff 2+2 pads flex alot more than any backing plate will and allow you to put heavy pressure on the pad which is what you need when polishing gel....

next step if you wanna get crazy is 3M finesse it on a yellow 3m wool blend polish pad also with the superbuff 2+2 adapter......

as far as auto sealants dont waste your time really..just use a quality cleaner wax as your first coat of LSP and then follow with collinite fleetwax.....

some guys on here have `````ed that my process is TOO COMPLICTED but try it and master it and you will love it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost28
    if your using 49 you may as well skip the 200 wetsand...49 is fairly abrasive on its own and will cut just as deep as the 2000....use it on a 3M Woool Superbuff 2+2 pad...spin the machine at 1000rpm spreading theh compound and dont be afraid to use some product (this is not like a car where you only need a little product) once spread and wet buzz the polisher up to 2000-2500rpm and work a small section at a time....as the 49 breaks down it polishes up well......you may need to do it twice to get nice results on a crappy boat....

foam pads are a waste of time when trying to CUT on gelcoat....the 3M Superbuff 2+2 pads flex alot more than any backing plate will and allow you to put heavy pressure on the pad which is what you need when polishing gel....

next step if you wanna get crazy is 3M finesse it on a yellow 3m wool blend polish pad also with the superbuff 2+2 adapter......

as far as auto sealants dont waste your time really..just use a quality cleaner wax as your first coat of LSP and then follow with collinite fleetwax.....

some guys on here have `````ed that my process is TOO COMPLICTED but try it and master it and you will love it....

Thanks for chiming in.

I ended up finishing the boat without the Megs #45. Seems I am not the only one with this very problem. Over on MOL, others have had this problem as well. Megs is supposedly trying to duplicate this problem to figure it out.

I switched over to DuraGloss and all is well now. I`d have pics up but when I pulled it out of the garage today there was no sun and doesn`t look like the sun may return for a few days.:sadpace:

Thread Information