Post Thanks / Like
    hey all. iv been reading autopia for a while but finaly decided to post cause i havent found a direct answer to this.

I`ve been doing cars for a while (i have a PC7424), but my poor bike sits neglected in the corner, never getting a nice shine job. id post some pics, but im not allowed yet!

so, just wondering if its safe to do. its a 2006 R6. i know i can probably bring some nice shine out of the gas tank, but the majority of the bike is plastic fairings and im wasnt sure if they were polisher safe.

currently im using Optimum products. i have the Hyper Compound, reg. Compound, Polish, and Poli-Seal. i have several lakecountry pads too... yellow, orange, white, black, green.

so, just looking for some advice on where to start. my fairings are in good shape, but there is some light marring here and there, and the front windscreen (tinted if it makes a different) is suffering from alota swirling. if someone can suggest a route thats "plastic safe", ill give it a shot.

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you`ll be fine. Here are my past and current bike:

The fenders on this are plastic:

Post Thanks / Like
    nice. so no special instructions? just go at it? id probably try white pad with opti polish 2 before i started tryin orange and yellow pads with compound.

i notice you also drive a Subi (assuming the one in the bg is yours?).

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve polished several bikes, including my own, all of which had plastic fenders and fairings without any issues.

You should be fine, just be cautious of sharp edges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aekon
    nice. so no special instructions? just go at it? id probably try white pad with opti polish 2 before i started tryin orange and yellow pads with compound.

i notice you also drive a Subi (assuming the one in the bg is yours?).

Yeah, just treat it like the rest of the paint. Are you using a PC or a rotary? The plastic does not disperse heat like metal so if you are using a rotary just be extra careful.

This was my first Subie. We traded that in a few years back. Now I have a 2006 wagon (in the bg) we leased but that will be gone in November. It was my wife`s but I took it over. The wagon is bone stock. The RS I had whiteline front sway bar and endlinks, Perrin rear bar and hangers with Kartboy endlinks. A short shifter and urethane shifter bushings. I also used Avon 550`s which gripped really well. That car handled really nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    I`ve polished several bikes, including my own, all of which had plastic fenders and fairings without any issues.

You should be fine, just be cautious of sharp edges.

Nice! Are those both yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    nice, a fellow subi lover. heres a few pics of mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey all. iv been reading autopia for a while but finaly decided to post cause i havent found a direct answer to this.

I`ve been doing cars for a while (i have a PC7424), but my poor bike sits neglected in the corner, never getting a nice shine job. id post some pics, but im not allowed yet!

so, just wondering if its safe to do. its a 2006 R6. i know i can probably bring some nice shine out of the gas tank, but the majority of the bike is plastic fairings and im wasnt sure if they were polisher safe.

currently im using Optimum products. i have the Hyper Compound, reg. Compound, Polish, and Poli-Seal. i have several lakecountry pads too... yellow, orange, white, black, green.

so, just looking for some advice on where to start. my fairings are in good shape, but there is some light marring here and there, and the front windscreen (tinted if it makes a different) is suffering from alota swirling. if someone can suggest a route thats "plastic safe", ill give it a shot.

thanks!

Run at a slightly slower speed on the plastic stuff just to be safe. It might even be easier to work with the fairings off on your next oil change. I`ve had really good luck with zaino plastic polish on the PC for clear plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the input guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice, a fellow subi lover. heres a few pics of mine.

Nice rides!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of my 12 year old Honda VFR 750. I have taken my PC with a 4 inch Orange pad to pretty much every panel and have not had an issue. I generally use Zaino Z-PC or Z-AIO for correction on my bikes. So far they have worked just fine...

Just don`t buff tooo hard or you might wind up with something like this

Years ago, before I found Autopia, I used a wool pad on an electric drill with pretty aggressive cleaner to get rid of scuffs on a Goldwing saddlebag lid and it turned out fine.

Just follow the principle of using the least aggressive method and product necessary and you should be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of my 12 year old Honda VFR 750. I have taken my PC with a 4 inch Orange pad to pretty much every panel and have not had an issue. I generally use Zaino Z-PC or Z-AIO for correction on my bikes. So far they have worked just fine...

Just don`t buff tooo hard or you might wind up with something like this

Years ago, before I found Autopia, I used a wool pad on an electric drill with pretty aggressive cleaner to get rid of scuffs on a Goldwing saddlebag lid and it turned out fine.

Just follow the principle of using the least aggressive method and product necessary and you should be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Nice! Are those both yours?

They were. Sold them both now. My fiancee had a `05 GSXR600 for a while too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice bikes you all have. Mine will look totally different after this winter, I hope. I pulled the front fender off and this winter I plan on selling the rear fender and making the bike a bobber style.

Thread Information