Thread: Clueless...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, ive been detailing cars for about a year now. Have a friend who wants his boat detailed. Now I told him ive never done one before but he insisted that I try. He wont be expecting an amazing finish. What exactly do I need to know before I tackle this? Do I treat the bottom part as if it was automotive paint and just use any cleaner for the inside? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what condition the gelcoat is in. Sometimes you can wash it clean if in really great shape all the way to needing a special kind of acid to disolve the crud attached to it.

If polishing you`ll need a wool pad and some good product. And there`s no section of the paint you can treat as automotive paint. Gel coat or aluminum paint are both different from Automotive paint.

Get products specifically designed for marine use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this will probably only be a one time thing. Will using a polish like SIP or M105 not be good?

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll get arguments from both sides of the coin. I personally would never use an automotive product on a boat. They aren`t made for it and could pose a danger to the marine life once put back in the water if the petrolium dissilates seep off the boat into the water. There`s a reason most marina`s around here will fine you if they catch you using non--approved products. Can you get them to work good? Sure. A lot of people can get great results using them but to me the risk isn`t worth the fines and such if there is an issue on the backside. Not to mention Gel coat specific products simply just work better ofr the most part. Check with your local marina and see what they recommend if anything for products in your area.

Thread Information