Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking at possibly taking a 2nd job with a yacht detailing company dealing mainly with boats in the water. What should I expect? similar to cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a different animal.

If there`s one thing I can say, is, get used to using a rotary buffer all day, for many hours at a time. I did it in Florida, in the middle of summer. It was like going to the gym, the sauna, and the tanning booth all at one time.

I would also suggest getting some polarized sunglasses, as dark as you can find. It will help you see the flaws that regular sunglasses don`t.

And STAY HYDRATED. Granted, in WA, it`s not going to be like the 7th ring of hell that FL is, but still.
    --Evan

Vanity

Automotive & Marine Detailing

"Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat`s shine, that`s Vanity."

Post Thanks / Like
    Buffing the hull sides of a bigger boat in the water will bring a whole new demention to what you consider to be hard work.

I really like what Vanity said: it`s true

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 42` Catalina in Newport Harbor and over the years have wondered who would be so bold as to hang over the sides of the deck with a buffer plugged in and in hand. I`ve seen yahoos in their litle Boston Whalers tied off to the side of boats. Man, electricity and water just scares me!!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the tips vanity, I hope I get the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, get accustomed to charging by the foot, instead of the job as a whole, or by the hour. If you charge by the hour, you`ll either end up being put on a time deadline, or have some very angry clients when the total comes out to be exponentially higher.

I charge $5/foot for a wash and quick brightwork cleaning, when you start getting into waxing, it goes up to about $10/foot, and compounding/buffing ranges anywhere from $18-25/foot. All of those prices are for up to 65` yachts. After that, they go up about $3/foot across the board, and then over 110`, I work with the client to get an agreed price. One of my clients in FL was the son of the Geico Insurance creator, and his boat was 177`. It took 12 hours just to wash it. I buffed out the entire thing, when it was out of the water. 11 days later, I had a NICE check in hand.
    --Evan

Vanity

Automotive & Marine Detailing

"Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat`s shine, that`s Vanity."

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took on a client who wants his 50` Sea Ray washed every week in the water. It pretty much looks brand new so I don`t ding him for the job. I`m only charging him $2.50 per foot. I also detail the interior of the boat every 3-4 weeks and for that I charge by the job.

OP, when you`re doing the exterior of a boat, ALWAYS charge by the foot.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys use to wash boats in the water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to what others said, I dread even detailing my dads 30` when it`s OUT of the water.

I typically use a quality carwash for washing exterior hull ( you don`t want to strip the wax/sealant). If there are any black streaks, I go over them with a cleaner wax. Inside cockpit deck, if it gets real dirty I use a higher strength cleaner, something like ROLL OFF.

Thread Information