Post Thanks / Like
    I have my first boat detail lined up this week. It is in our shop and he wants it detailed while it is in there. He just wants a wash and wax. I am going to clean it really well and follow it up with Meguiars cleaner wax to try to offer a little bit of protection. It has an open cabin and a deck above it.

I have a PC7424 and Makita 9227C with wool pads for the rotary. Would applying the wax with wool pads be my best bet? Thanks for the tips and I`ll post before and after pics soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get it, get Meguiar`s M66 Quik Detailer/Wax with a Meguiar`s W8000 foam pad, and the Makita, on the notch just above 4 on speed control.

Once you get into using the wool pad, you`re going to be adding a lot of steps.

I use Meguiar`s Velocity MV80 with the Meguiar`s W4000 wool pad on REALLY oxidized gelcoats.

As an all around good polish, I`ll use the Velocity MV81, with either the W4000 wool or W8000 foam, depending on the oxidation.

If it`s a wash/wax job, I`ll use the aforementioned M66 and W8000. It doesn`t have the same cutting power as the MV81, by a longshot... but it`s a good in-between product, between full compounding and washing.
    --Evan

Vanity

Automotive & Marine Detailing

"Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat`s shine, that`s Vanity."

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not recommend ever using a foam pad on a boat. Wool is the only way to do it effectively.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a matter of personal preference.

This was done with Meguiar`s Velocity MV81 and Meguiar`s W8000 foam polishing pad, with Makita 9227C on speed 3.

--Evan

Vanity

Automotive & Marine Detailing

"Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat`s shine, that`s Vanity."

Post Thanks / Like
    For one-step jobs I use 3M Restorer&wax. Simply polish the gelcoat with this on a wool pad on speed 3 on 9227 and wipe off the light residue with an MF towel and you`re done. This product contains wax and will protect the finish, yet, it has some cutting power to rub off the oxidation. Try it out. I`m sure you`ll be happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I guess the wool pad sounds like a good bet. I have my dads boat I want to do as well and it is black/red/white. When buffing it you have to tape off the different paint sections as you go to prevent the color from running correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be a good idea to use separate wool pads for both the white and the colored gelcoat to avoid any possibility of color transfer onto the white.

Thread Information