Thread: GSX Seadoo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a jet ski that has been in the sun all summer. I washed it the other day and it looked really chalky, so i put some wax on it and the red paint color was on my pad :nervous:. is this gel coat failure or can it be fixed? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s normal transfer. It doesn`t have a clearcoat most likely so the color will transfer if any abrasives touch the surface.

If it isn`t as shiny as you want, you could keep working on it. A cleaner wax may be all you need, or you might need to step it up a tad to a light polish like SwirlX or ScratchX.

Post Thanks / Like
    i didn`t touch it with any abrasives, just very lightly put some wax on it. So a fine polish will make it look better, it looks really faded

Post Thanks / Like
    The wax you used probably has some light cleaning ability or light abrasives. Regardless of what you put on there, color transfer is normal. Polish it out and seal it up. Good as new.
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    so just treat it like a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sicilykid91
    so just treat it like a car?

Most likely. Call or visit a SeaDoo delearship near you and ask for the parts/service department (or bodyshop if the dealership is large enough to have one) and ask if you can polish the paint just like a car. Hopefully they won`t try to sell you some bull and say you have to use SeaDoo brand products.

Post Thanks / Like
    i called up at the dealership and they said not to using any kind on cutting polish or anything. They said just a cleaner wax and if it doesn`t bring the color back i`ll probably need to have it painted. They paint is really faded on the ski? what are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    i called up at the dealership and they said not to using any kind on cutting polish or anything. They said just a cleaner wax and if it doesn`t bring the color back i`ll probably need to have it painted. They paint is really faded on the ski? what are your thoughts?

Complete BS. It`s most likely gelcoat so you can go ahead and polish it out. Gel coat acts different than traditional BC/CC vehicle paint. I`d suggest trying the meguiars cleaner wax (blue bottle), and if that doesn`t work, use one of the 3m boat specific products. Of course, if you use the 3m, you`ll need to follow it up with something lighter. The meguiars clear wax would work in this instance. When you`re all done, seal it up.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Put i had paint transfer on the pad. That really worries me, if the gel coat was there it would not have done that right? i just am worried about going to town on it and hit a dry spot and it taking the paint right off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put i had paint transfer on the pad. That really worries me, if the gel coat was there it would not have done that right? i just am worried about going to town on it and hit a dry spot and it taking the paint right off.

Colored gel coats WILL transfer paint. It`s much like single stage paint.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I would either use a cleaner wax or possibly a dedicated cleaner or AIO such as Klasse, Werkstat Prime, Zaino AIO, Sonus Paint Cleaner, P21S`s Paint Cleaner. The dedicated cleaner may do a more thorough job. After using the cleaner, inspect the paint and make the call. Did the cleaner or cleaner wax spruce up the paint enough for you? If so, you are good to go. If not, decide if you are willing top pay for a new paint job. If you are, then give a cutting compound or polish a try first, what do you have to lose? You are going to repain it anyways so who cares.

I agree with Greg Cavi, what could the polish do? Start off easy. Use something like 3M Ultrafina or Menzerna PO87 or PO85rd or Optimum Finish Polish on a finishing pad (Lake Country Blue, Red or Black, or Edge White) and see what happens. The combination of those products and pad are soooo gentle that I cannot see anything bad happening. If you see a tiny amount of improvement but want more, maybe take another step up to Menzerna 106 or SIP or Optimum Polish or Meguairs 205 on a polishing pad such as a Lake Country White or Green or Edge Blue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should mention that with oxidized gelcoat it often takes an aggressive polish with a wool pad to bring back the gloss/shine. Just be prepared for that.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright guys i well give the AIO klasses a shot and see if that helps any. If not i will put a finishing polish on it. If that doesn`t work i`ll go for it all. I need to invest in some wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put some polish cleaner on the ski and it came out pretty nice. The jet ski didn`t have a clear coat because after two passes with the cleaner polish the paint looked richer and more lively. Over all i would give it a 7 out of ten. I just wanted more reflection but felt that couldn`t be achieved with the existing paint. So i sealed in up with two coat of AIO and now she`s ready for the lake!! (as soon as i charge the battery)

Thread Information