Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    my friend wants me to clean his boat up a bit, it has been very neglected and the exterior feels like chalk, Im thinking its gonna take some muscle to cut through this stuff, should I start out with one of these (#4 or #84) and a LC purple foam or orange pad on a rotary? I have never done a boat so I really dont know what to expect

also, once its cleaned up should I hit it with a paint sealant or something like 303?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem on a recent detail I have done.

Go to your local west marine and pick up 3M Rubbing Compound. Will have green letters. Its sand in a bottle. Also, pick up a wool compound pad, it will cut through the oxidation perfectly.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use 105 and wool. If you need something more agressive than 105, I go straight towards wet sanding! Got pics of the job at hand?

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Go get this kit and don`t even bother with a foam pad on chaulky gel coated fiberglass... get big wool pads and lots of them. You`ll be going through a ton of them in a poor condition boat.

I can show you some of my boat before and afters if needed but trust me you`re in a for loooooooong few days to get it all right.

Post Thanks / Like
    the kit mentioned above with Wool is the best combo around....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Go get this kit and don`t even bother with a foam pad on chaulky gel coated fiberglass... get big wool pads and lots of them. You`ll be going through a ton of them in a poor condition boat.

I can show you some of my boat before and afters if needed but trust me you`re in a for loooooooong few days to get it all right.

Im using that kit on a 1973 MFG that is orange that has never been buffed. The boat is pretty much all white from being oxidized for so long. With the oxidization remover the gelcoat is coming out shiny orange again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I strongly sugggest that if the boat is very bad (chalky) that you use agressive sanding working your way down to say 1500grit then break out the polish. Compounding a boat that is bad takes more time than, wet sanding it............every experience I have had, its faster.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for the 3M with the green letters, worked amazing on bringing back the hull (white) of my 1996 SeaDoo GTX, took 2/3 passes though.

I recently just did my 21` Crownline that has some black and some white. I used purple wool pad with M105 on my G110, worked wonders, never thought I`d see the black that black, however, it didn`t work wonders on the white...evened it out but didn`t get an amazing shine. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate wet sanding found a compund from Presta called Super Cut i cant find it on their site but they have it here Super Cut

or you can try this.......Gel Coat Compound

ive used Presta with good results they also say not to use either of these on cars, ive never tried espesscially after you feel the grit in this stuff....
    Paul
    Eastside Auto Spa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni

The kit/advice mentioned above will be your best bet. The only thing I would ad,Wash the thing with A.P.C. you will not believe all the white crap that comes off doing this.This will surely save you a Pad or 3.:woohoo:Wet sanding should not be nescecary

Post Thanks / Like
    For heavy oxidation on a gel coat, you need to get somewhat mideval.

Twisted wool, rotary, and a heavy cut marine compound are a must. Most likely wet sanding too.

Need to get way more agressive than you would ever dare on auto paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    For heavy oxidation on a gel coat, you need to get somewhat mideval.

Twisted wool, rotary, and a heavy cut marine compound are a must. Most likely wet sanding too.

Need to get way more agressive than you would ever dare on auto paint.

Yes, Medeval is called for from time to time

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the 3M compound, wool pads, rotary buffer, and lots of pressure. I few years ago I had a crew of 4 guys and a girl buffing out a 50` Sea Ray Sundancer that had never been waxed. It was chalky white and filthy. Make sure you wash it extremely well with the strongest cleaner you have at your disposal. Then tear into it with the 3M Marine Compound and LOTS of twisted wool pads. Run the buffer at medium/high speed and put a lot of pressure on it (but keep it moving). It took us all 5 days to finish it, but got it looking brand new in the end.

If there`s a stripe or any colors on the boat, make sure you`re using separate pads for the fiberglass and the vinyl decals (you can actually burn some of the color into the white fiberglass if you use the same pad).

And FWIW, I have been professionally detailing boats for over 10 years. I have used every compound you can ever imagine. And I have NEVER burned through gelcoat; not one single time. Gelcoat is a LOT thicker than most automotive guys think, and it`s very forgiving. Lay into that sucker!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewOSU
    +1 on the 3M compound, wool pads, rotary buffer, and lots of pressure. I few years ago I had a crew of 4 guys and a girl buffing out a 50` Sea Ray Sundancer that had never been waxed. It was chalky white and filthy. Make sure you wash it extremely well with the strongest cleaner you have at your disposal. Then tear into it with the 3M Marine Compound and LOTS of twisted wool pads. Run the buffer at medium/high speed and put a lot of pressure on it (but keep it moving). It took us all 5 days to finish it, but got it looking brand new in the end.

If there`s a stripe or any colors on the boat, make sure you`re using separate pads for the fiberglass and the vinyl decals (you can actually burn some of the color into the white fiberglass if you use the same pad).

And FWIW, I have been professionally detailing boats for over 10 years. I have used every compound you can ever imagine. And I have NEVER burned through gelcoat; not one single time. Gelcoat is a LOT thicker than most automotive guys think, and it`s very forgiving. Lay into that sucker!!!

I was really hoping someone would say that! :clap:

also, when you say strong cleaner, do you mean go crazy? I have some stuff with sodium hydroxide that will melt skin off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone compaired Meguiars 91 power cut compound to 3m marine compound? which cuts faster and works better overall for this type of work?

lastly, I take it 3m`s super duty compound is even more agessive then the one with green letters on the bottle.

vs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information