Post Thanks / Like
    Started to detail my 1995 21` Crownline today, I plan on finishing it in about 2 weeks once I`m done with school for the semester. This was my first time using my G110 and M105. My M205 was ordered from Amazon but they pushed back the ship date, so it wasnt here in time.

Here are some before/after pics of the right side of the boat, I only detailed the black section. Since we bought the boat a couple years ago, we were never able to get the black to look `black`, it always had an oxidized look.

I have a question after the pics...

Tools:

G110

M105 (1 pass purple wool, then 1 pass orange LC CCS)

Meguiars Marine Polsih (White CCS)

CG Ez Creme Glaze (didn`t really do much) (Black CCS)

CG Jet Seal (Blue CCS)

Meguiars Marine Wax (Blue CCS)

(Blue in pics is just tape)

Before

After

Here`s My Question...In the picture above, I tried to use M105 on the white part that`s between the black part (detailed above) and the bottom paint, the white hull, not the bottom paint (just clearing that possible misconception up). It and other products (Meguiars Marine Polish & Something Else...Can`t remember name) would seem to dry/get caked onto the boat, very hard to remove. It seemed like it just wasn`t applied evenly, which was kind of true, but in some places the product would remove with some elbow grease, leaving an overall blotchy, dull finish. Anyone have any input on why this happens or what I could use (product/method) on that part.

Any comments/suggestions (I`m a newb so suggestions are very welcome) let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint on the very bottom of the hull is likely anti fouling paint to keep marine growth in check. It cannot be polished and must be repainted every few years to remain effective. Leave it be and work on the remainder. The part you worked on looks very good. It`s possible that you can still purchase the striping tape from Crownline, call and ask. Have your hull number ready when you call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF
    The paint on the very bottom of the hull is likely anti fouling paint to keep marine growth in check. It cannot be polished and must be repainted every few years to remain effective. Leave it be and work on the remainder. The part you worked on looks very good. It`s possible that you can still purchase the striping tape from Crownline, call and ask. Have your hull number ready when you call.

Very well said RTexasF. +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yamaha-

I believe you are asking about the white gelcoat portion of the hull above the antifouling paint and below the black gelcoat. If so, it might be a matter of additional prep. If this boat is kept in the water for extended periods of time, variuos types of particulates and overall "crub" can become caked onto the surface of the gelcoat. If not properly removed, it could cause the problem you are describing. As a prep, I would wash this area with a Dawn/water mix. This should break down most of the gunk, and remove any old wax. I would then look to claybar the hull, starting with a light level bar. Try a small area first to make certain there are no adverse effects. Hopefully, this clears out the remaining "crud", and you can then apply a good quality marine wax for protection and shine (I prefer Collinite`s products).

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anosmiac
    Yamaha-

I believe you are asking about the white gelcoat portion of the hull above the antifouling paint and below the black gelcoat. If so, it might be a matter of additional prep. If this boat is kept in the water for extended periods of time, variuos types of particulates and overall "crub" can become caked onto the surface of the gelcoat. If not properly removed, it could cause the problem you are describing. As a prep, I would wash this area with a Dawn/water mix. This should break down most of the gunk, and remove any old wax. I would then look to claybar the hull, starting with a light level bar. Try a small area first to make certain there are no adverse effects. Hopefully, this clears out the remaining "crud", and you can then apply a good quality marine wax for protection and shine (I prefer Collinite`s products).

Good luck!

Agreed.

Also, don`t be afraid to wet sand and go to town one a high speed and wool pad.

Thread Information