Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a 2005 20` Center Console boat. I dont think it was ever put under a shelter, or ever seen a wax or a brush since 2005, so needless to say, it is extremely faded and nasty.

Here is where the problems start. I had the dealership compound the fiberglass parts of the boat for me figuring I could just finish up polishing and waxing. Well, I picked the boat up, and while it looks better, its not perfect.

So since I was at the marine store, I picked up Meguiars Oxidation Remover and Boat Polish. Figured that the oxidation remover would, well, remove the oxidation, and the polish would replace the oils in the fiberglass creating a nice shine. So I start off on the boat with the oxidation remover on a wool pad on the rotary at 1500rpms. Right off the bat, I know this will be hard and with terrible results. I then used the polish hoping it would create that "wet" shine. No, did basically nothing. The fiberglass is getting clean, and it does shine more than in the picture, but it`s not perfect. It`s extremely hazy and not "crisp" looking. I thought it would be the wool pad not creating the finish I wanted, but when I switched to a lo-pro 5.5" ccs pad, same results.

I know this can be made better, just not sure where to start off. What have you boat guys done to create the results? Maybe i`m just asking to much of the fiberglass and it`s as good as it will get.

Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I spelled Oxidation wrong lol
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Its kinda hard to say, but in general #49 will make a dull oxodized boat shine good.

But there diffent kinds of gelcoat that are subject to all kinds of chemical and human induced problems. (probably not the case)

Forget about a foam pad it won`t do s###

try to increase you buffer speed put a good amount of compound on the hull then apply some realitvly heavy pressure with the wool pad fairly flat and work and smaller area then reduce pressure.

I think the dark brown polish they sell in the blue bottle sucks you might try the mequires hand polish and some type of liquid wax, with the buffer around 1500 and machine polish the boat.

I would be surprised if it did`nt shine, but like I said above small chance there is a problem with gelcoat. Most likely you just need to adjust your buffing technique

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a finishing wool pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    silly question but did you wash the surface really well first? if you dont do that with a strong soap you leave alot of dead gelcoat behind....

you need to start with the Megs #49 on a wool pad (my pad of choice is a 3m superbuff 2+2) do a small area at a time and start on slow speed and once its spread well spinb the buffer up to 2000-2500 rpm and work the compound....#49 is a diminishing abrasive compound so you really need to work it....once its broken down a bit slow the rpm back down.....if this leaves too many swirl marks buff again with 49 or 44 on a yellow wool blend pad....then follow up with the megs polish by hand or machine topped off with a coat of wax....

if this process doesnt make it shine then bust out the spray gun...LOL.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Yacht Brite Buff Magic. It has worked well for my business.

Thread Information