So, I have been a pretty solid DIY`er, and after buying an older boat to replace the wife`s family boat, I figured I would look to doll the thing up. Nothing special, just a 98 Maxum 18 foot open bow. Sadly, as you will no doubt imagine, it`s red....and oxidized.

I will take pictures just to show what an absolute noob can/will do with a boat, and have totally stalked this site for the last week or 2 in preparation for it.

Here`s what I`ve got. I have a decent air compressor system at the lake in my garage, and, since I couldn`t find much info for or against air compressor tools, I took a shot. I bought a Coleman Powermate Orbital Sander. I also bought Mequiars #105, #205, some 3M Super Duty, and some Meguiars Marine wax.

As you`ll eventually see if/when I post pics, the oxidation is bad. I`ve read a few posts, and see that wet sanding might be a good option. No one really discusses HOW to wetsand, and while I assume it`s similar to the wetsanding I`ve done before on plastic (i.e. by hand) I wasn`t able to really get any confirmation. So, that said, I figured I`d start with the orbital and some 3M and just, well, figure it out. Honestly, if I failed miserably, the boat couldn`t look much worse.

I can tell there are some wizards here. That said, I`m much more about figuring stuff out by DOING, and there we go.

Here`s my question (jesus, get to it) --- why hasn`t anyone mentioned air powered here? Give me the ups/downs.

Also, feedback on my plan:

1. Power wash

2. 3M Super - with Edge wool pads

3. Meguiars 105

4. Meguiars 205 - foam pad system

5. Marine was - foam pad system

Just going to work with the directions from the foam pad system....I bought all this stuff (save the orbital) from AutoGeek...

Thoughts/suggestions/comments/abuse???