Thread: Boat Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m familiar with doing decent car details, but don`t really know where to start.

Bought a boat last year, and I don`t think it`s even seen a coat of wax in it`s life. It`s been sitting in the water most of it`s summer life so has a definate grime/seaweed line that i have no idea what to attack with.

I have no idea where to start and what to use. Local shops seem to carry 3M/Meguiars aquatic line. Seaweed line is the main thing I`d like to get rid of, and Ill need a wax that will last as this boat will be in the water a fair bit and will be parked on my boat lift. In the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t overlook a good Hull Cleaner! For polish, compounds, and wax, Meguire`s is a good place to start..
    You miss 100% of the shots you never take...

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a jug of muriatic acid at your local hardware store, along with some good rubber gloves and a face mask. Spray the bottom of the boat with the acid and aggitate it with a soft scrub brush on a broom stick. This stuff is highly toxic and hurts if you get it on your skin. DO NOT breathe it in! Also do not wear decent clothes while doing this, as it will ruin them. Very nasty stuff, yet extremely effective. I use it every summer on gel-coat bottoms. DO NOT use on painted bottoms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used toilet bowl cleaner to remove that stubborn crap on boats.. works quite well. The Meguiar`s Marine line is the best to use. I`ve used 105 quite a bit but the best results are with the Marine line. You can pick up some oxidation remover and wax for under $30 usually.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the megs stuff good stuff for a resonable price. I also suggest putting on some anti fowling coating( the black paint on the bottom). A little bit of money butreally helps keep the bottom nice and clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you didnt want to go `chemical` route, you can go with 3000 grit and lots of water, to get rid of that scum line...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Get a jug of muriatic acid at your local hardware store, along with some good rubber gloves and a face mask. Spray the bottom of the boat with the acid and aggitate it with a soft scrub brush on a broom stick. This stuff is highly toxic and hurts if you get it on your skin. DO NOT breathe it in! Also do not wear decent clothes while doing this, as it will ruin them. Very nasty stuff, yet extremely effective. I use it every summer on gel-coat bottoms. DO NOT use on painted bottoms.

Don`t you need to dilute it 3:1 or less? I would be scared to run it straight!

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Diluted Muriatic acid is called hydrochloric acid. No, full strength will work best, but diluted should work also. If the staining is light to moderate go ahead and dilute, but for heavy stains on gel coat you could use it straight.

My first try would be Soft Scrub and if that doesn`t work hit it with some compound. Acid should be your last resort.

P.S. I do boats regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant beat this and a bug sponge Star brite - Catalog - Product DetailIMO
    Paul
    Eastside Auto Spa

Thread Information