Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys!! I used to work for a professional marine detailing company when I was in High School. That was 10 years ago, so all I really remember is the rotary buffer settings, wool pads, and techniques. All materials/compounds that we used were purchased in bulk in 55gal drums, so us "hired muscle" never knew what the hell we were using, we just knew how to use it. We worked in teams of 5, and we`d spend about 8 hours on each boat.

Anywho... My father bought a 40ft Catalina sailboat a few years ago. He always keeps up on the waxing every year, and takes meticulous care of it. It`s kept on Lake Erie during the summer (fresh water), and pulled out of the water and covered with a tarp during the winter. He and I both want to do a little more than the annual "wash & wax" that he does every year. The gelcoat is still in excellent condition with acceptable shine, but he wants to make it "pop" this year.

So for you boat guys... What materials would you use to shine up and protect a white boat that doesn`t need much? My father prefers the longest lasting protectant over the greatest shine. Every year he uses Meguiars Cleaner Wax with a large orbital buffer (cheap 10" with terry bonnets). He prefers to stay with the Meguiars brand because he`s familiar with it and knows it works well. Also, our local West Marine carries the Meguiars line. I`m considering buying a Porter Cable for my car anyway; would that work better or will the 6" pads be too small for a 40ft boat?

Any advice on products, methods, buffers, etc is welcome. I attached a picture below; the streaks are just from rain and dirt, they wash off. Also keep in mind, we`ll be doing this while standing on a scaffold, so the simpler the process the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    No pic is showing up. But the mequires marine line is a great line up. I use it almost exclusely when detailing Boats and RV`s If you don`t need much you might be able to skip the oxidation remover and just to to the polish. I would grab a rotary and skip the cheap 10" buffer thing. Polish it up then you can either use the mequires wax. But if you want long lasting I would go with an Aquaseal. lots of good ones out there. I know bio-kleen makes excellent products for this as well.

BioKleen Marine & RV

Thread Information