Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this...great site! Have a dilemma. I have a HD with a custom rear fiberglass stretched fender. I just had a seat made for it. Unfortunately, the seat that used to be on it made a rub mark on the black paint where it rested at the rear. And since the new seat is a slightly different shape, it shows. I tried to use some wax on the one side, but all it did was leave some fine, small swirl marks...almost tiny scratches. If I have to, I`ll repaint the fender...but it would be my last resort. I ride it regularly, but it`s also a show winner.

Any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like
    You want to use a good polish, not a wax. Wax will just protect not clean or remove. You might also want to grab a clay bar to try as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was actually looking at maybe Autoglym Super Resin Polish...claybar as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YtseJam
    Just found this...great site! Have a dilemma. I have a HD with a custom rear fiberglass stretched fender. I just had a seat made for it. Unfortunately, the seat that used to be on it made a rub mark on the black paint where it rested at the rear. And since the new seat is a slightly different shape, it shows. I tried to use some wax on the one side, but all it did was leave some fine, small swirl marks...almost tiny scratches. If I have to, I`ll repaint the fender...but it would be my last resort. I ride it regularly, but it`s also a show winner.

Any ideas??

I`ve got rub marks on my tank from the front of the seat. I used to polish `em out but since they`re just going to reoccur and aren`t visible with the seat on I now just leave `em alone.

Your situation is visable rub marks though and they`ve gotta go. In order to remove the mark the surrounding paint has to be abraded to the same level as the lowest of the marks to achieve a flat finish. In order to do that you`ll need to polish, possibly compound. Aggressive compounds *usually* leave marring and need a milder polish to restore shine.

I`ve used Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound on hard OEM H-D paint with excellent results. It`s pretty impressive by hand and phenomenal using a DA or rotary polisher. Nice part is it finishes extremely well and you may not need a milder polish to remove marring.

Since M105 is in Megs Mirror Glaze line designed for body shops it isn`t found on the shelf just anywhere. Carquest Auto Parts stores usually have a good selection of Meg`s Pro products, probably in the qt size. Assuming you may not have use for a qt ADS offers Meg`s products, including M105, in 12 oz trial sizes at reasonable pricing.

Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut New Version - DA Polisher Approved

You may want to consider a finishing polish as well, M205 is sweet and also available in the smaller size. Regardless, a soft, clean pad is essential. On black I use nothing other than soft foam pads. Some microfiber and cloth pads leave marks on black regardless of how soft or clean they are.

If your rub marks are such that hand polishing doesn`t remove them you may need to have a pro take a whack at `em with a machine polisher. I`d be wary of body shops as they aren`t generally known for their fine finishing work. I think your marks would have to be pretty severe for M105 to not handle `em by hand with multiple applications though.

Good luck... TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Really appreciate the info....I`ll give it a shot!

Thread Information