Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I bought a boat that has decals that are faded out and need replacing. I`ve tried several methods, but have had little luck getting the old crusty decals off. I even tried soaking a paper towel with acetone and laying on the area and it didn`t loosen it up. Any ideas? Thanks

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    trying using a hair dryer to help soften them up...

Post Thanks / Like
    If it comes off in very small bits try toffee disc/wheel for cordless drill.. removes easily without destroying the finish. Could be called Eraser pads/wheels over there though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat and a plastic scraper along with acetone or goo-begone should do the trick for ya.

You WILL like my work! jayjacque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The eraser wheel is a very good way, especially if they are hard to get started with a heatgun or hair dryer. But if you don`t have that, here`s what you do with the hair dryer: Heat on one end in one place enough to get it to start peeling with your fingernail or carefully with a razor blade. Once you`ve got it started, keep the heat going about 4 to 6 in. in front of where you`re peeling, so that you can keep pulling it up as you go. If it breaks (which it will) just start over. You should be able to get a lot of it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas. The previous owner left the boat uncovered outside for a long time and the sun took its toll on it. Some people don`t realize what a pain they cause for those of us that take care of our toys.

-Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have access to a shrink-wrapping heat gun? It`ll work 10 times better than a hair dryer. I used to work for a professional marine detailing company, and we could get an entire 6 foot long boat name off in a little under 10 minutes using a shrink-wrap heat gun and a razor blade. Just be careful if you use the razor blade!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the 3M Pinstripe Removal Wheel. Here is a link where you can purchase one:

3M Pinstripe Removal Wheel

I purchased mine from a local industrial supply store. I have used it to remove pinstripes from a 1979 Lincoln Continental, as well as old registration numbers from boats. The wheel works excellent, leaving nothing behind.

One suggestion is to "test" an area of the boat surface that is not easily seen, to make sure the wheel doesn`t do any damage. Depending on the size of the decal, it shouldn`t take you more than a few minutes to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat gun FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    :banned:

Heat gun or chemicals generally work well, but be careful as some chemicals can ruin the paint work or surface if it’s a re-spray (factory finish paint jobs are okay to use chemicals on) where you are trying to remove decals. A mate suggested me to use the wonder plastic blade to remove decals and it really worked well.

:nomore:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why You Have his Boat! Heat real slow! take your time!

: )
    OK she not the best Detailer! but SOOOO !

Thread Information