Post Thanks / Like
    Last week, I just bought a 2002 Honda Shadow. One of the tail pipes has a scuff mark that is beginning to rust. I assume I need to sand the rust out then put some type of protection on it? What type of protection do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    metal polish, mothers will work OTC

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this polish all you need to get that out? I`ve never been faced with rust on metal before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a customer who has a 2007 Harley and it had so much rust buildup on the wheels and other metals that I was faced with a similar situtation. I used Gladium metal polish by Pro and I had GREAT success!!! I def would suggest using that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCWD
    I have a customer who has a 2007 Harley and it had so much rust buildup on the wheels and other metals that I was faced with a similar situtation. I used Gladium metal polish by Pro and I had GREAT success!!! I def would suggest using that

What type of applicator did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did this scuff break through the chrome plating? If so and it`s rusting, there`s really nothing (aside from re-chroming) that can be done to correct the problem. You could spray it down with acid and then neutralize it with APC to clean out the corrosion and then polish/seal to keep it preserved.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Did this scuff break through the chrome plating? If so and it`s rusting, there`s really nothing (aside from re-chroming) that can be done to correct the problem. You could spray it down with acid and then neutralize it with APC to clean out the corrosion and then polish/seal to keep it preserved.

No the scuff did not break through fortunately. I never thought of using acid. Would the acid that is sold by AutoInternational`s or Finish Care`s Paint Decontamination systems work? If not, what type of acid would you suggest?

Once I get the acid I assume the process should be:

1. Use steel wool to remove all visible rust.

2. Spray acid on the area the rust was and let dwell for 10 minutes.

3. Spray APC on the area to and let dwell for 10 minutes to neutralize the area.

4. Wash area with a strong mix of car wash

5. Polish with Chrome Polish

6. Seal with a quality sealant.

Does this sound correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your process looks perfect if you already have a paint decon system, try it. It should work if you allow it to dwell lonmg enough. Don`t go out and buy it or wheel acid if you don`t already have it. Depending how thick the scuff/corrosion is, try either a chrome polish or some mild compound. That should do the trick without causing extra work or harm to the existing finish. You can try #0000 steel wool, but be careful. If rust is heavy, as you remove it with steel wool, the chunks/bits of rust can marr the chrome as you rub it into the surface.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your process looks perfect if you already have a paint decon system, try it. It should work if you allow it to dwell lonmg enough. Don`t go out and buy it or wheel acid if you don`t already have it

At the moment I don`t own a paint decon system nor do I own acid. But I have been thinking about using either one on my work truck (92 Ford Ranger) that is a rust bucket and I have been thinking about using acid on it to control the spread of the rust. You mentioned wheel acid, will any wheel acid work or are there types you recommend.

Depending how thick the scuff/corrosion is, try either a chrome polish or some mild compound. That should do the trick without causing extra work or harm to the existing finish.

Use a hand applicator to apply the compound or chrome polish? If so, a terry, foam or microfiber hand applicator?

You can try #0000 steel wool, but be careful. If rust is heavy, as you remove it with steel wool, the chunks/bits of rust can marr the chrome as you rub it into the surface.

#0000 steel wool be purchased at Home Depot correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a microfiber circular applicator pad for the Harley

Thread Information