Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning! I have done the interior on a boat before but never actual oxidation removal on the gelcoat. I have searched and put together this process:

Edge yellow wool for the heavy oxidation/scratch removal

Edge blue wool pads for swirl removal/light swirls

Edge foam finishing pads for the final buff

I plan to use Meg`s M105 on the wool followed by SIP for the final buff. Will these polishes get the job done? Hows my pad choice looking?

Thanks again guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m no expert, but my experience with gelcoat is to go a notch or two more aggressive with fiberglass than with auto paint. I`m not saying to lose any common sense for caution, but trying to do major correction on gelcoat requires hard work.

For example, for heavy correction/oxidation I`d go right to the most aggressive 100% twisted wool compounding pad you have (i.e. if you have the black Edge wool I wouldn`t start with the yellow, for swirl removal you`ll need at least the Edge green wool, the blue won`t "cut" it, etc.). I also think that any foam `finishing` pad will have negligible effect on gelcoat ... this stuff is usually pretty hard.

You might want to consider marine-specific products too .... gelcoat is a different animal in my limited experience (it`s a lot harder, more porous, etc. than auto paint).

I know it`s usually the least aggressive approach, and it`s always wiser to take that road. However, my guess is you`ll end up going hard at it if this is old gelcoat with a lot of fading/oxidation/marring. Might even want to consider wet-sanding.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. What I may end up doing is getting the Bow to Stern Heavy Cut and Fine Polish and use a black and green wool pad. Thanks again.

Thread Information