Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    SO I have been seeing these threads lately about guys struggling with gelcoat oxidization. Today I had one of my clients bring his boat back to me for some clean up. We had wetsanded, polished with Megs #4 and white wool then X-Kote`d this boat just over a year ago. The client openly admitted to me today he has done NO after care to this boat since we touched it last year which is a shame.

SO last year we started with this and took it to this

This is what I saw today, needless to say I was a little bummed out but considering no wax or washing was done on this boat for a year the 1/10th of a mil of X-Kote held up ok. In spots the boat looked a little dull but in others it was still great. The theory behind X-Kote on gelcoat is that it gives the Gelcoat a layer clearocat therfore it is not exposed directly to thew UV rays. The X-Kote has a UV inhibitor in it so it should slow down the oxidization process.

SO I decided to give it a wash, a light polish with Megs #2 and white wool then I threw another layer of X-Kote on top. Sealed it with our X-Protect ( 2 apps this time)

This time I made him promise me that he will wash and wax the boat once a month during the summer.

I`ll update this again next year and see how we do.

Post Thanks / Like
    The trailer looks like it might need a little attention also.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flygti32
    SO I decided to give it a wash, a light polish with Megs #2 and white wool then I threw another layer of X-Kote on top. Sealed it with our X-Protect

"Our" X-Protect? If you have a financial interest in this product, your post violates our rules on commercial postings.

Tort

(suspicious moderator)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseAWD
    "Our" X-Protect? If you have a financial interest in this product, your post violates our rules on commercial postings.

Tort

(suspicious moderator)

Considering his pics are on their web-site......I would say he IS X-Kote!!

http://www.xkote.com/gallery/Fgallery11-1.jpg

:beware

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, smart way to spam, have to give him that at least

Post Thanks / Like
    Not speaking for Flygti32 but X-Protect is the wax that X-Kote sells to apply after a job is done, as it is silicone free. "Our" was used a little too loosely IMO.

I also have pics on their website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was pretty strange that this post was allowed to stand, and Danase`s post was locked by David B as spam.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/marine-...ml#post1119802

Post Thanks / Like
    X-Protect isn`t even mentioned being for sale on their website. It is used because it was developed to protect the X-Kote surface without silicone.

Post Thanks / Like
    My apologizes. Yes "Our" was used a little too loosely in my post. I own a detail shop and I use the X-Kote product and there aftercare line in the store. I myself am not X-Kote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat looks good - thought someone should mention it

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize this is an old post,but have a question. I had Xkote applied to my boats transom last year, and it did a great job. I would like to do the rest of my boat this year, but do not wish to use the detailer that applied the coating last year. I was wondering if there was any avenue for directly purchasing Xkote, or if there is a comparable product that is commercially available?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no commercially comparable product. X-Kote is the only product like this in the world. Where are you located?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the cost to get a car XKoted?

Post Thanks / Like
    wannafbody I`m not sure what flygti32 is charging, probably more than I am, as he is more experienced and lives in a bigger market.

Just as any defect removal job, the cost is dependent on many factors and the perfection that the customer expects.

Usually a job goes like this for me, chemicals and techniques might vary per person and job.

Dawn wash, clay, compound and maybe some wet sanding of deeper scratches. Then solvent wipes to remove any embedded waxes and silicone. Last one I did, took 7 wipes to come clean enough to proceed, usually about 3. Tape off then tack cloth surface and then apply X-Kote and check for any problems.

After, the surface can be non-silicone waxed and lightly finish polished within hours.

The process starts much like a normal 3 step compound and polish except the polishing steps are skipped, as the X-Kote will cover any machine swirls and other scratches.

Works very well for neglected and beat up paint, but also works well on better paint.

Price $250 to $400. So while it is comparable to a 3 step in price, it does have some advantages in adding clear, not removing it, and does fill in deeper scratches very well and cover road rash. Also on single stage it almost stops oxidation.

Hope this helps.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn wash, clay, compound and maybe some wet sanding of deeper scratches. Then solvent wipes to remove any embedded waxes and silicone. Last one I did, took 7 wipes to come clean enough to proceed, usually about 3. Tape off then tack cloth surface and then apply X-Kote and check for any problems.(end quote)

That`s surprising that it takes that much effort to remove the junk in some products so that you have a clean surface for bonding. If the durability of Xkote is as good as it`s claimed to be at $250-400 it`s a pretty good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information