Post Thanks / Like
    I did a boat this weekend for a family member and on one side I used SAIII and on the other I used a different brand polish. The side that I used SAIII seems to be fine but the side I used the other polish is starting to turn white again already. Both where done using a wool pad and high speed and topped with Klasse. Anyone with more gel coat experience know what would be causing this to come back so fast?

Thanks!

p.s. it`s a not so well taken care of 85` 16` boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is SAIII?

From my research Gel coats dont have any UV protection which is why they Oxidate in the sun. Use something like X-Kote?

I`ve also heard from others that using something like Megs #7 a day before buffing helps rehydrate the gel. My guess is your gel needs rehydrated before LSP.

Sorry bob, my ramblings are hyjacking your thread.
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Oxidation gets pretty deep into the gelcoat, and sometimes you think it`s gone but it comes back. We used to have a plane like that at my old work - after 8 hours of compounding, it looked perfect. 3 weeks later - chalky again.

Sometimes you can cut deeper or wetsand and get all of the oxidation out, sometimes the only long-term solution is to repaint. If the SA3 side looks pretty good, then the competitors product probably didn`t cut deep enough.

Klasse is an interesting choice - I always preached the oil glaze and Collinite gospel when I worked on gelcoat, but I`d be interested in hearing how it looks/lasts.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Was one side worse than the other? Like the port side was stored facing towards the sun for 8 years.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    Oxidation gets pretty deep into the gelcoat, and sometimes you think it`s gone but it comes back. We used to have a plane like that at my old work - after 8 hours of compounding, it looked perfect. 3 weeks later - chalky again.

Sometimes you can cut deeper or wetsand and get all of the oxidation out, sometimes the only long-term solution is to repaint. If the SA3 side looks pretty good, then the competitors product probably didn`t cut deep enough.

Klasse is an interesting choice - I always preached the oil glaze and Collinite gospel when I worked on gelcoat, but I`d be interested in hearing how it looks/lasts.

I did a fiberglass camper a few months ago, removed oxidation with klasse and then put 2 coats of collonite on it...haven`t heard how it`s doing, or if it`s even left the garage yet. But I`ll let you know when I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    What is SAIII?

Danase Swirl Abolisher II

the other polish that you used was it something like Meg`s

that is full of polishing oils?

if so it could be that the gelcoat drank up the oils and hide the oxidation...just a thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by murf`n`surf View Post
    Was one side worse than the other? Like the port side was stored facing towards the sun for 8 years.....

The sides seemed to be the same. We don`t really know how the boat was sitting except for it sat for 5 years uncovered and in someones yard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    Danase Swirl Abolisher II

the other polish that you used was it something like Meg`s

that is full of polishing oils?

if so it could be that the gelcoat drank up the oils and hide the oxidation...just a thought

No, it didn`t have oils or anything in it. I`ve always been told not to use oils with a gel coat.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Thread Information