Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I`m thinking of buying some motorcycle detailing stuff as gifts for my Dad and Stepdad, and I`m looking for some product suggestions. In particular, is there any REALLY GOOD products for removing bugs from chrome, or cleaning leather (both bikes are Harleys)? I`m open to buying a kit that would include brushes, etc. as well if it`s worth it. I wouldn`t rule out getting some wax either if there`s one that stands out in terms of quality. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    For Chrome try Deepfinish Deep Chrome.

Anything used on a car can be used on a bike. It all depends how much you want to spend.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Detailer
    Wicked Products Metal Polish is great for Harley`s. I`ve used it extensively on my own Road King. Wicked Products Metal Polish can be found at WickedProducts.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with audicoupe - anything I use on cars has worked on the few bikes I`ve done without the expense of bike specific products. Although Wicked Detailer has obviously found something worth interest if you want to "gift" someone.

(whoops - just noticed the date and I`m probably too late.)

Super N00b
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old post, but maybe someone is reading it for the first time like me.

A couple of products that work for me and are critical to bike detailing more than car detailing is a set of big brushes. They make some that the brush head is very soft and about 5 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. Get two, one for potentially grimy area`s and one for clean areas. They will really help you get into the nooks and crannies.

Second, I really like S100 Polishing Soap for chrome.

Finally, if you have exposed powder coating like the engine cases on some Harley`s then Pig Spit works well as a "sealer". It is really good at keeping bug guts and tar from becoming epoxied to your paint.

Hope this helps someone.

CBM
    I`d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 8 month old `07 Mini Cooper S (Red w/Black roof and hood stripes) and a two year Suzuki Boulevard S83 (Intruder 1400) (Metallic Red). I use Zaino Z5, Z6, Z-CS, Z-AIO and the Zaino Car Wash on them. They both look showroom fresh. The Z5 Polish also helps get rid of the nasty fine scratch at the base of the tank near the seat. Zaino sells a starter kit which is outsanding. It`s not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you use to polish out the scratches on a stainless-steel exhaust?

All the products I have used in the past just seem to clean the dirt off the surface. I have tonnes of light scratches all over the place that are a real eye-sore .

Post Thanks / Like
    The best instant bug remover I have used is from Autoglym. Their Active Insect Remover

After a ride when the bugs are moist just spray on and wipe off.

Works great and also smells nice :p

Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing
    Cheers,

LM

Post Thanks / Like
    Autoglym is good for polish

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a long time detailer, but never had the chance to tackle a motorcycle. My first bike detail will actually be on my new bike.

Its a `01 Honda F4i and definitely needs some claying and a good polish. My main question relates to getting water on or near the chain. Im going to be doing an ONR wash most likely followed by some claying and then some SIP, IP, Jeff Werkstatt. Should I be avoiding the chain with the ONR (I do want to get the swing arm as there is some chain grease stuck on there)??

Just curious what you guys do and if there are any tips for a 1st time Moto detailer?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Accessories for cars, car tuning, spare parts, bike and moto accessories

I`m using these products on my R1 and i LOVE them. No ideea if you can find them outside Europe.
    C 200 CDI

ML 63 AMG

SL 55 AMG

S 55 AMG Long

Yamaha R1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueM3
    I have been a long time detailer, but never had the chance to tackle a motorcycle. My first bike detail will actually be on my new bike.

Its a `01 Honda F4i and definitely needs some claying and a good polish. My main question relates to getting water on or near the chain. Im going to be doing an ONR wash most likely followed by some claying and then some SIP, IP, Jeff Werkstatt. Should I be avoiding the chain with the ONR (I do want to get the swing arm as there is some chain grease stuck on there)??

Just curious what you guys do and if there are any tips for a 1st time Moto detailer?

Thanks!

I use ONR to wash the bike and it will not touch chain lube. The best degreaser you can get is kerosene. Use it first on panels, swingarm etc to get chain lube off. Then wash the bike, it will save you lots of time. Also keep away ONR and water from chain. You don`t want it to rust.

After you are done with detailing the bike, block off the chain with used newspapers and use O-ring safe chain cleaner or kerosene to clean the chain and rear sprocket. I use a soft toothbrush to help me get it clean. Let the chain air dry for 15min and apply light coat of chain lube. I use Motul Chain Clean and Motul Factory Line Chain Lube, since I track my bike and it also has whitish/bright look to it, everyone comments and asks me if my chain is brand new. Let it dry for 30-60min and you are good to go.

I use IP, FP and Souveran on my red daytona 675.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baracuda: Thanks for the link. I think all of those would likely be cost prohibitive after factoring in shipping and duties.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff
    I use ONR to wash the bike and it will not touch chain lube. The best degreaser you can get is kerosene. Use it first on panels, swingarm etc to get chain lube off. Then wash the bike, it will save you lots of time. Also keep away ONR and water from chain. You don`t want it to rust.

After you are done with detailing the bike, block off the chain with used newspapers and use O-ring safe chain cleaner or kerosene to clean the chain and rear sprocket. I use a soft toothbrush to help me get it clean. Let the chain air dry for 15min and apply light coat of chain lube. I use Motul Chain Clean and Motul Factory Line Chain Lube, since I track my bike and it also has whitish/bright look to it, everyone comments and asks me if my chain is brand new. Let it dry for 30-60min and you are good to go.

I use IP, FP and Souveran on my red daytona 675.
    Thanks for the walk-through!

Ill follow your steps as closely as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, just remember to lube the chain every 500km (300mile?) or more often if it rains. I also clean it every 1000km (600miles).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuff
    No worries, just remember to lube the chain every 500km (300mile?) or more often if it rains. I also clean it every 1000km (600miles).
    It did come with a bit of chain lube among the "extras" he threw in. I already tossed out the FRAM oil filter after reading some miserable reviews on their bike filters.

I plan to go and pickup some of the Dupont Teflon Chain Lube this weekend to use after I run out of this current lube he provided me.

I also plan to change the chain and sprockets as I noticed the rear sprocket has atleast 1 broken tooth so I will be sure to keep the new chain properly cleaned and lubed at all times. I just checked out the new chain in the box and its got a good deal of white (I assume its Lithium) grease on it.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information