Thread: Boat questions

Post Thanks / Like
    So I`m going to be detailing one of my Uncle`s boats. It`s a smaller boat he only uses for when he can`t take his bigger boat out on the ocean. It`s currently sitting on a trailer next to the carport at this house(my parents let him keep it there). It`s not a super high dollar job, it`s a cheapo $50 type one, but then again the boat`s not very big. It`s also sort of a stepping stone type of job, if I do a good job I might get to detail his other (much larger) boat, and cars and maybe even some of his client`s and co-worker`s cars/boats (he works in finance and so knows plenty of people with money and gets to chit chat with them a lot). I`ve never done a boat before, and I have a few questions.

1) I don`t have any boat specific products, will I be OK to use my car washes and waxes on the boat?

2) I`ve heard that NU-FINISH will work OK on the gel coats of a boat, is this true?

3) What should I do about the places that are touching the trailer for support if anything?

4) He seems especially picky about the outboard motor`s cover, will my assorted QDs be OK to use on top of it? I`m not sure if it`s fiberglass or plastic. For that matter, what about the metal portions of the engine? Should I wax those too or just use a spray wax or a QD or something?

5) This may be a stupid question, but is drying quickly as important on a boat as it is on a car to avoid waterspots? Or is the gel coat more resistant to it?

6) Is there anything a car guy like me needs to be aware of doing a boat?

Obviously for this one I`d like to do a pretty nice job, hopefully he`ll be impressed enough to want to step up the $ for his cars and larger boat and send me more business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since no one replied I will

You did`nt say what size the boat it is but no matter

Wash the boat - your car wash soap is fine

Get some marine wax if you can - Meguires flagship is good and easy to use

The engine cover is plastic and vinyl decals - wash and wax it

Inside the engine cover, be carefull of water unless you know whats what

you could just hand clean and spray something like Boeshield T9 or even wd40 just mist every thing and then wipe it down.

If you do a good job and boat is small you may be able to pull $5.00 be hour

Goodluck

Thread Information