Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sema 2023?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sema 2023?

Looks like Gyeon will be releasing a rinseless too next year. Fun times for rinseless guys!!

GYEON Products Premiere 2023 #GYEON - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It was 2007 I believe when the 3401 came out. There was really nothing else at the time, as I said, before long throw, before Meg`s came out with M105 and before smaller, thinner pads became the norm for PC-type machines, before MF cutting pads--those things enabled real correction with a PC. There was really no way but rotary before the 3401 came out to efficiently remove defects. The entire machine polishing world has changed since then with the advent of better machines, pads, and polishes. And BTW, the Flex was half the price it is now when it came out. People would complain that $150 was too much for a PC back then, and now we`re talking about 5 times that.
    The prices have indeed gone crazy as has the rhetoric that you need any particular machine to get results. It`s just more hype and BS to get hobbyists to open their pocket books.

As a pro, where time really is money, a slightly faster machine makes sense. As a DIY, it`s dumping more money into the dumpster. If you get excited about new machines and get enjoyment out of a new one, don`t let my words stop you. However you can get results by hand, any machine is going to be just fine. I`m really tempted by a cordless machine but realize it will just take up more room and I`ll still keep my corded trio.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The prices have indeed gone crazy as has the rhetoric that you need any particular machine to get results. It`s just more hype and BS to get hobbyists to open their pocket books.
    The introduction of the Flex and its adoption was certainly an inflection point in the polisher market, it showed that there was consumer appetite for a more expensive machine that could perform more efficiently than a converted DA sander, and caused Rupes to enter the American market--I`m not sure if Flex was here industrially before the 3401 was introduced to the detailing world. IIRC the GG6 in its early versions even still had the vacuum port for the sanding dust, and now GG has a full line of seemingly purpose-built polishers.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How do you conflate rupes entering the US market because of flex 3401?

I think your over thinking all this.

Cordless polishers are an inflection point too. Cordless tools are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    How do you conflate rupes entering the US market because of flex 3401?

I think your over thinking all this.
    Because that`s the way I remember it. How long have you been here? I`ve been here since 2004. At the time I joined, there were 3 tools, a rotary (several different popular mfrs), a Porter Cable DA, which was a converted sander, and the Cyclo, which was a WWII-era aluminum polisher. Almost no one used a Cyclo, the "professionals" used a rotary, and everyone else bought a "PC". And at the time, before the advent of "SMAT" polishes, smaller/thinner foam pads, and microfiber pads, it was almost impossible to correct paint efficiently in the way we do today, except with a rotary. Everyone was scared of a rotary. There was an attempt sell other hopefully more powerful sanders to compete with the "PC"; that started with David B. and the ACC Ultimate Detail Machine, or UDM, which failed and then Meguiar`s began importing that machine under their label, I forget what they called that, there were all kinds of problems with it. Then Griot`s introduced the GG6, another converted sander, and I think after 3D bought ACC, they also flirted with another converted sander, that they were bringing in from China and modifying in CA.

Along the way Meguiar`s came out with M105, their consultant Kevin Brown developed the "Kevin Brown Method" (KBM) to get results from it, and all of a sudden people were able to remove defects without a rotary! Based on Kevin`s methods, it was realized that part of the problem with PC`s was that the pads were basically designed for the rotary, and that a PC needed smaller, thinner, pads that would absorb less of the machine`s (limited) power. I think Kevin was also involved with the development of the Meguiar`s microfiber polishing system which was the first on the market, paired with SMAT abrasives.

But none of that fundamentally changed the machines, we were still using converted DA sanders, that were in a $150-180 price range. Again, I don`t know if Flex was already in the US market with other power tools at the time they started selling the 3401 here, but it was a stretch for people to pay $270, but once people found they could get (relatively speaking) the correction capability of a rotary with the safety of a DA, the product took off. I believe that Rupes (a European competitor of Flex) saw this, and decided to enter this market once they saw there was a market with detailers for premium/higher priced machines. And I`d say they were right.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been here since 1978.
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I just realized that this thread was posted in the Mothers subforum, perhaps Alfisti was specifically asking whether there were any new Mothers products introduced at SEMA 2023, if so, I apologize for the threadjack and I don`t know the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was specifically asking about Mothers, but no harm done. 😉
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m so sorry, Alfisti! We did announce our new products on social media, but here you you go...New Products for 2024 from Mothers
    Jim Dvorak
    Public Relations, Customer Service & Technical Support
    Mothers® Polishes•Waxes•Cleaners
    Tel: 714-891-3364 x241
    Email: add ".com" to my username to email me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I have a G15 that can easily take out heavy defects in a few minutes. So yeah they correct just fine.

Its funny, 5 years ago everyone was saying you should start with a 8mm throw DA for a "beginner" lol I have never used one i bought the G15 as my first polisher. ZERO regrets.
    Me too… even my 3” was 12mm…. Just seemed like an 8 mm would take longer so…. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

New from Megs. Taken from Autogeek thread. The Ceramic coating is from their “Proffesional Brand”.

Also released an AIO and polish under that banner.

Think it is replacing Mirror glaze and “Detailers Line”

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post

New from Megs. Taken from Autogeek thread. The Ceramic coating is from their “Proffesional Brand”.

Please keep in mind that this is the MOTHERS sub-forum for the discussion of Mothers products.

Might be best to move competitors products to the main forum. 😊
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post

I seen that. Interesting for sure. I assume they worked hard to make it very forgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Sema 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
    Please keep in mind that this is the MOTHERS sub-forum for the discussion of Mothers products.

Might be best to move competitors products to the main forum. Sema 2023?
    Agreed. Common mistake as a lot don’t take the time (including me) to look where thread is posted

In the future I’d recommend being clearer with your titles

A title like “SEMA 2023?” Is very vague especially with never stating who you were looking for in title and 1st post.

Maybe something like “Mothers At SEMA 2023?”

This in conjunction with us who missed where it was posted paying better attention will keep mishaps like this from happening.

Likes PoisonTheWell liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information