Post Thanks / Like

Trailer vs. Van???

I`ve been weighing the pro`s and con`s of having a trailer vs. a mobile cargo van. I currently have a 6x10 enclosed detailing trailer fully outfitted for whatever the job calls for, but im growing tired of having to come pick it up and than drop it off. Plus, with a full load of water (100 gallons x 8.3lbs=800lbs of extra weight) it becomes a gas guzzler even quicker. I haven`t written off the trailer yet but i`m thinking about getting a van more and more each day.
    Likes Sirocco Jerry liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trailer vs. Van???

I think having a van is the way to go. It looks more professional, you can have your business logos on the sides and the back. Thieves can`t just grab stuff off of it. But with a van be prepared to spend more on insurance, and they can guzzle some gas too.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dcox9 View Post
    I`ve been weighing the pro`s and con`s of having a trailer vs. a mobile cargo van. I currently have a 6x10 enclosed detailing trailer fully outfitted for whatever the job calls for, but im growing tired of having to come pick it up and than drop it off. Plus, with a full load of water (100 gallons x 8.3lbs=800lbs of extra weight) it becomes a gas guzzler even quicker. I haven`t written off the trailer yet but i`m thinking about getting a van more and more each day.
    I have never driven a trailer but I drove a Toyota van for work before. No I am not a professional detailer.

1. A van will look more professional, no matter what profession you are. Believe it or not, the dealer told me that the color of a van tell something about you. A white van will make people think the owner is clean and tidy he might be in medical industry. A yellow van make people think that guy is tough etc. While they are not related I think it is interesting to know.

2. Because you can put all the stuff "indoor", they will be air-conditioned (on some vans) and the chemicals will survive better if it is too cold or too hot outside. Also they should catch less dust, no rain and have better security.

3. Since you are carrying the same weight of products with you, a van will not save you on fuel. But it should handle better than having a trailer.

If you ask me, I will get a grey metallic Mercedes Benz Vito LWB 6 seater van.
    3.0L turbo diesel, 6 speed manual trans. I can carry 6 people altogether with a lot of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

it depends on you. if you have a trailer and its working for you right now, then maybe thats ok. it does not make you look more professional with a van alone, you can wrap your trailer and tow vehicle and really stand out.

you have to look at your budget to, maybe its not in the budget right now to get a van

all different ideas, but it`s up to you to make them work

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

i say go for van. plus it looks professional too. and get high end with good design. i like the Merc too
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

If you drive the Mercedes, some will think your prices are padded but it is classy.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a:
    truck mounted
    Open utility trailer
    Cargo Trailer
    Cargo Van
    (another Cargo Van)
    Box truck (that I barely worked out of, was a lemon, so I really don`t count it)
    Another utility trailer
    And now back into a bigger cargo trailer (5x10)

I loved having a cargo van. I was able to get anywhere that a regular vehicle could. Bad thing.....When your van breaks down/goes to the shop, your business goes down with it. I also have kids, so it didn`t work for me to pick them up from anywhere. (only 2 front seats.) It was my only mode of transportation, besides my Wife`s car.

I like my cargo trailer because my business is in the trailer. I can disconnect it and have my truck for personal use. Sure it`s longer and places are a tad harder to get into, but I`m good at pulling trailers/backing trailers.......
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

For all those reasons you just stated is why I am loving my trailer. Just not loving the weather the northeast is giving us right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
    I have had a:
    truck mounted
    Open utility trailer
    Cargo Trailer
    Cargo Van
    (another Cargo Van)
    Box truck (that I barely worked out of, was a lemon, so I really don`t count it)
    Another utility trailer
    And now back into a bigger cargo trailer (5x10)

I loved having a cargo van. I was able to get anywhere that a regular vehicle could. Bad thing.....When your van breaks down/goes to the shop, your business goes down with it. I also have kids, so it didn`t work for me to pick them up from anywhere. (only 2 front seats.) It was my only mode of transportation, besides my Wife`s car.

I like my cargo trailer because my business is in the trailer. I can disconnect it and have my truck for personal use. Sure it`s longer and places are a tad harder to get into, but I`m good at pulling trailers/backing trailers.......
    Lets GO FLYERS!!
    www.BarrenHillDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would do a trailer over a van any day IMO

No additional insurance with the trailer too (unless you insure it)

Post Thanks / Like

Van pros : Safe,everything is in one place, you can fit into almost any place in the crowded/tight parking downtown areas, no extra toll charge, If you get a flat tire its just that "a flat tire", its not a flat tire on a trailer that can make you flip your trailer and vehicle.
    "my mothers husband got into a bad wreck because the trailer he was pulling down the highway caught a flat tire that made them flip over lots of injured ppl and total losses on both trailer and vehicle. plus i always had a bad feeling with trailers i always think they can fall off the hitch and cause a wreck !

Thread Information