Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Detailing Setup - Pickup Truck - The Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon 2.0

I`m putting this up for anyone researching info on putting water in their truck. I researched old threads to get ideas on what I wanted to do and went from there. So hopefully someone else will take from this and make it their own.

My detailing business started in an integra hatchback. Eventually things grew, and I moved onto a 2009 Toyota Tacoma pickup. Extended cab (not quad cab), leer cap, manual tranny, 4wd, TRD sport package, hood scoop. Pretty badass to start with in my opinion. But from the time I purchased almost a year ago I had intentions of putting in water & power to make myself able to detail completely off the grid when necessary.

Fast forward to this year and after much planning, spending, fabrication, and troubleshooting, I`ve got water in my truck (power was easy after I decided not to do an inverter - honda 2000w generator)

Here is the list of stuff with description and pics to follow:

Plastic mart custom built 45 gal tank with two 3/4inch fittings
    Flojet 4.9gpm on demand pump
    Optima bluetop D31M
    Rapid Reel mounted on two 2x4s
    75ft craftsman hose
    custom built subfloor (plywood, steel bar)
    ratchet straps
    misc plumbing supplies
    misc electrical

I couldn`t possibly handle such a project on my own. Friend of mine at the day job builds custom motorcycles in his 1 car garage. He weighs 250, shaved head, covered in tattoos, former competitive bodybuilder, with a soft spot for Mr. Sparkle. I brought him my childish drawing of what I had planned and he said it would be no problem.

First we had to mount the tank (which was chosen for purchase after taking a bunch of measurements to ensure it wouldn`t block my view out the rear). Built a subfloor out of plywood and steel bar. The steel bar rests in the tracks of the truck bed. Once everything was cut to shape and reinforced we installed 4 eye rings and strapped the tank down. Tank below all by itself.

In this photo you can also see the tank outlet (pass side) with shut off valve along with a fitting up top on drivers side (will explain that in a minute)

Originally I wanted the pump on pass side, but later decided it was best on drivers side. So tank was pulled about a week later and the pump was mounted. here is a better look at the subfloor in my apartment along with pump mounted.

next was the battery, which weighs 60lbs FYI. After much debate I opted to mount it in front of the tank on a battery tray. Tank below with the battery mounted.

I should mention now that the battery is not wired to the truck in any way. It is independent and used only for the water pump. Occasionally I pull the battery, or run a charger to it for a little while. No idea how long it could last without a charge as I stay on top of keeping it juiced up.

Next was plumbing. Water exits the tank on pass side and through a shut off valve and 90 degree fitting, runs behind the tank to the pump on drivers side. The pump is flush against the wall of the truck. So holes were drilled in the bed of the truck and hose was run through the empty space in there (between the plastic bed and sheet metal fender). closer look at the plumbing into the truck bed

the feed from the pump goes into the truck wall, and eventually connects to a 2 way garden hose switch, which is connected to my rapid reel and 75ft hose.

the hose swelled like a sausage is from the pump. its under constant pressure. once there is a leak in the system (like when you turn the hose on) the pump turns itself on and water flows. I`ve recently switched the lines so the pressure is now on the inside line, and less vulnerable to puncture.

Here is a photo of the `magic` happening

the 2 way garden switch, along with that second fitting on the roof of the tank allow for easy fillup. When its time to fillup I switch the garden hose fittings to close the line from the pump, and open the line to the top of the tank. I run my hose from the truck to the water supply, and connect with a female to female adapter. Then water flows in reverse and fills my tank.

Hope this makes sense and I hope this helps someone else put together their rig

Obviously a trailer or van is an easier thing to pull off. but in my case, a trailer prevents you from travelling on a number of major roadways on long island. Also, this is my daily driver, and didn`t want to drive a van all the time. So this is how it worked out

comments and questions are welcome!
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Detailing Setup - Pickup Truck - The Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon 2.0

Very cool Bryan!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job and I really like the idea and ease of refilling the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Nice job and I really like the idea and ease of refilling the tank.
    thanks. that was something I had never seen done before but seemed really practical when you think about it. just took a lot of plumbing stuff
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

wow, very creative, nice setup. if your battery isn`t a deep cycle one, make sure you keep it charged up to prevent sulfating.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up. Looks like you have everything you need
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any concern with battery life or the possibility of it getting wet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Is there any concern with battery life or the possibility of it getting wet?
    as far as getting wet, I`m sure its not recommended, but I believe I`m fine. This battery is typically for marine use so (fingers crossed) I should be good to go. still gonna try to keep it dry though

battery life: this is the largest battery that optima makes (in regards to amp hours). So I`m hoping it can take some abuse. I also use a ctek 7002 charger which optima recommends as a charging unit.

next step is a pressure washer, because as expected I use way too much water with a conventional wash. I barely have enough room in the truck but pretty sure I could squeeze it. Just wanted everything else in place first. so I just ordered a karcher x series this afternoon along with an MTM foamer
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bryan, I noticed your post and wanted to thank you for choosing Optima. Fully-charged, your BlueTop should measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. I`m glad to hear you keep it properly-maintained, because anytime any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and left sitting in that state, sulfation begins to form in the battery, which decreases both capacity and lifespan.

While we do not recommend any specific brand of charger other than our own, units with microprocessors and AGM-specific settings are generally preferred. If anyone else is considering a similar setup, I want to make everyone aware that all batteries can vent gas that is both toxic and flammable in extreme situations. While the chances of that happening might be remote, any battery located in an enclosed space should be properly-vented to the outside air. Both the D31M that Bryan is using and our D27M have provisions for external venting.

Bryan, you shouldn`t have any trouble if the battery gets wet, but I am concerned about your exposed terminals, especially because you do put equipment in your truck near the battery. If a wrench, metal handle, golf club or any other piece of metal were to come in contact with your terminals, it could create a very dangerous situation. Please PM me your mailing address and I`d be happy to send some terminal covers to you.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    OPTIMA® Batteries (OptimaBatteries) on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
    Hi Bryan, I noticed your post and wanted to thank you for choosing Optima. Fully-charged, your BlueTop should measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. I`m glad to hear you keep it properly-maintained, because anytime any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and left sitting in that state, sulfation begins to form in the battery, which decreases both capacity and lifespan.

While we do not recommend any specific brand of charger other than our own, units with microprocessors and AGM-specific settings are generally preferred. If anyone else is considering a similar setup, I want to make everyone aware that all batteries can vent gas that is both toxic and flammable in extreme situations. While the chances of that happening might be remote, any battery located in an enclosed space should be properly-vented to the outside air. Both the D31M that Bryan is using and our D27M have provisions for external venting.

Bryan, you shouldn`t have any trouble if the battery gets wet, but I am concerned about your exposed terminals, especially because you do put equipment in your truck near the battery. If a wrench, metal handle, golf club or any other piece of metal were to come in contact with your terminals, it could create a very dangerous situation. Please PM me your mailing address and I`d be happy to send some terminal covers to you.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    OPTIMA® Batteries (OptimaBatteries) on Twitter
    great info there. thanks for chiming in

wasn`t too concerned with the exposed terminals but it is a bit of an oversight on my part. will shoot you a pm. thanks.
    Bryan

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome setup there! And I think you`ll be ok with that optima battery for a while if you wanna abuse it. I had those in cars before powering sound systems and really subjected them to some abuse and never had one fail on me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Awesome setup there! And I think you`ll be ok with that optima battery for a while if you wanna abuse it. I had those in cars before powering sound systems and really subjected them to some abuse and never had one fail on me
    thanks!

I know they get abused in a wide variety of applications. so add this to the list

I`m still impressed with that photo above with the submerged battery powering the pump
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I came across this doing some research on mobile rigs. DO you have any more pictures of how you store all your detailing equipment in there?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty cool setup. Im actually planning to set up a cargo van (hopefully) this year. I may have missed it, but what size is that tank, and how many vehicles can you wash on a full tank? I dont want a huge tank because of the weight and space, but I dont want to run out of water when doing multiple maintenence washes either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information