Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrade on Van Suspension...

Dave, I will PM u later with some info on the swap.

I will post more in this thread when I get in town this evening after dinner.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Just to sum up the suspension on the Astro van, you have main leaf spring, which pretty much hold the weight of the van (rear) up. The shocks work in sync with the leaf springs. Their job is to help maintain ride quality, absorb bumbs, and give or take, help keep the van at level, (while unloaded for the most part)

You will always have leaf springs, no if`s, and`s, or but`s.
    You can get different types of shocks;everyday shocks, heavy duty shocks, coil over shocks, air shocks, and so on. Depending on your application and what you will be hauling should be a major determining factor in the choice of a shock.

When carrying a heavy load the majority of the time, you should get air shocks. You cannot add anything to any of the shocks, such as springs. If you want "springs" get coil overs, but I don`t recommend witht he application they will be used one.

What air shocks do: Air shocks perform like a heavy duty shock. It will ride a little rougher. As they come, they are set up to have them replace your original shocks. They come with all of the hardware needed to install and run the air lines. To add air, it is like adding air to a tire, same valve type. There HAS TO BE air in the shocks while running them to help keep all of the weight off the leaf springs. The different mfgrs, have different directions. I think mine have to have a minimum of 40 pounds of air in them. And up to 150 pounds max, loaded.
    They help level out the van when loaded, as to not have the rear end sag. Sagging can be dangerous on your suspension, as it could have negative effects on the components, as aim your headlights to the sky.

To answer your question, or address your statement, NO, these do not lower your van when there is no air in them. It is not recommended to run without the proper air level in them.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Helper air bags work with regular shocks to help maintain the ride height. They are recommended over air shocks, but are more $ and a little more involved as for as installation. Some require cutting, drilling, and such, and some are direct bolt-on.

Again, helper air bags do not lower the van either.

The proper, way to lower the van with a load is to C-NOTCH the frame and swap the axle on top of the leaf springs. In turn you WILL, WITHOUT A DOUBT, have to cut and raise the floor of the van. More work than worth if you ask me, or at least for a work van. I am not saying it cannot be done, because it has been done numerous times, but don`t bite off more than you can chew at the beginning. I would worry about getting the van set up the way you want/need it and then weigh your options from there. You may not need anything more than air shocks.

If you have any other questions, please ask away. I will help in anyway possible and give my opinioins. Anything I say is again, my opinion and not meant to bash of sway you in any way. I just want to state the safest way and most cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that helps out alot. And there is no way I`m going to lower it either without proper suspension. I like the idea about air shocks, and I`m sure there is some way to make them so they can support the weight and still be a little smooth at the same time by adjusting the air. Anyway, I appreciate the info thanks for the help
    Get your shine on!

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
    Dave, I will PM u later with some info on the swap.
    Thanks Tex, Take your time bud. I won`t be doing the swap until next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the sixties I used air shocks for pulling a very large boat that I had.
    Since I only pulled it occasionally this was good because my vehicle did not have a harsh ride when not towing the boat.

The down side is the shock mounts on your vehicle were not designed to carry a load and may break.
    The shock has a rubber grommet that will wear much faster if you carry a load with them aired up all the time.

I have also had to replace them because a small stone get trapped under the fold of the air bag and punches it.

Now they make a better choice it is a bag that sits on top of the axle and pushes up on the frame.

Since you will have a constant load change due to the water tank being full or empty I would get a 12 volt pump and then you can change pressure as needed.

Going to a station to get air every day would be a big PITA.

Don`t get carried away with loading it after you get the air bags on it you just have a 1/2 ton truck and the wheel bearings will NOT hold up to constant overloading.

The bag over the axle would be the best option next would be the air shock. With either you will want a pump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information