Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Semi Overhauled My Work Van

Was smelling coolant for a few months, couldn`t find where it was coming from. Finally decided to inspect closer. Found the lower intake manifold was leaking.
    1995 Safari Cargo Van (Astro)
    Decided to tackle it myself after getting quotes as high as $800 for parts and mostly labor. After I did it, I could see why they would charge that much....
    BTW, the part was $15....
    But me, being OCD, I decided to change what I could while I had the top and front torn apart.
    Here is what was replaced:
    Cap
    Rotor
    Plugs
    Wires
    Fuel Pressure regulator
    Fuel Filter
    Intake Manifold Gasket
    Plenum Gaskets
    Valve cover gaskets
    PCV and hose
    radiator and cap
    radiator hoses
    thermostat
    Water pump
    Heater hoses
    And I think some more stuff......
    flushed the oil out of course and new filter. Common sense
    Oh yea, tranny pan drop and filter changed.

Also bought new rotors, calipers, pads, and rubber brake lines. Still need to get time to replace them. Started buying new suspension parts for the front as well to replace all at one time.

I want to do the exhaust as well.

And after all of that, the thing still has a minor "miss" now and then. I should have replaced the timing chain, distributor, and fuel injectors while I was in there... maybe I will tear it down again later this summer...

When I bought it, it had the notorious fiberglass mono leaf spring on it. Those were the first things to go, replaced with steel springs, newer axle, shoes, drums, and air shocks.

Anyone else do their own mechanic work??
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Semi Overhauled My Work Van

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
    Was smelling coolant for a few months, couldn`t find where it was coming from. Finally decided to inspect closer. Found the lower intake manifold was leaking.
    Decided to tackle it myself after getting quotes as high as $800 for parts and mostly labor. After I did it, I could see why they would charge that much....
    But me, being OCD, I decided to change what I could while I had the top and front torn apart.
    Cap
    Rotor
    Plugs
    Wires
    Fuel Pressure regulator
    Fuel Filter
    Intake Manifold Gasket
    Plenum Gaskets
    Valve cover gaskets
    PCV and hose
    radiator and cap
    radiator hoses
    thermostat
    Water pump
    Heater hoses

Also bought new rotors, calipers, pads, and rubber brake lines. Still need to get time to replace them. Started buying new suspension parts for the front as well to replace all at one time.

And after all of that, the thing still has a minor "miss" now and then. I should have replaced the timing chain, distributor, and fuel injectors while I was in there... maybe I will tear it down again later this summer...

When I bought it, it had the notorious fiberglass mono leaf spring on it. Those were the first things to go, replaced with steel springs, newer axle, shoes, drums, and air shocks.

Not anymore. Used to out of necessity. Never quite found nirvana turning wrenches like some of my other friends. But with your work, I think you qualify to work on mine Congratulations!
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
    Cap
    Rotor
    Plugs
    Wires
    Fuel Pressure regulator
    Fuel Filter
    Intake Manifold Gasket
    Plenum Gaskets
    Valve cover gaskets
    PCV and hose
    radiator and cap
    radiator hoses
    thermostat
    Water pump
    Heater hoses

I do my own work none of my vehicles have ever been to a repair facility but when I was much younger I worked as a mechanic at a Ford dealership so it comes natural to me.
    All my vehicles are Fords except the Corvette and it is the only one that requires maintenance seems like I`m always working on the vette something always needing replaced..

Post Thanks / Like

I can still turn a wrench but arthritis has altered the speed of the repair.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am actually in the process of doing paper work for going to the local college here for some courses. I did 2 years of Auto Body repair and refinishing, but have lost my touch after 12 year... lol

I am going to do Auto Collision and Refinishing and then a 2 year course for Auto Mechanics. Good thing about the courses, they are self paced. Not sure which course I want to take first. If I do refinishing, I can always add that to my services. Minor painting only, such as bumpers and such. Market dealerships...

Then again, I like turning wrenches as well. Hopefully I start in the Fall, which ever I decide to chose first...(freshen up my welding skills in Auto Collision too)
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I can still turn a wrench but arthritis has altered the speed of the repair.
    MAN I can relate to that.
    I just changed the spark plugs in the vette yesterday.
    My back is my biggest problem if it wasn`t for Darvoset I wouldn`t get anything done.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate turning wrenches. I always threaten to take my vehicles to the shop and let their mechanic do the work but there is one thing I hate worse than turning wrenches, Paying someone else to do what I know how to do. So I end up doing my own work.

Post Thanks / Like

I do some of my own stuff and some stuff I do with my buddy that owns a performance shop.

Do you have pictures of the vehicle

Shawn
    (954) 871-0205

Thread Information