Post Thanks / Like

Air Compressor Air Dryer/Air Filter/Oil Seperator Set Up With Portable Compressors

How do you mobile guys set up your compressor`s air dryers, air filters and oil separators? In shops you can mount them to a wall, but my air compressor will be stored in a shed every night and taken out when needed for interior details, the shed does not have electricity to run the compressor from. I roll it to an outlet near my house and run it from there.

My second question is now that I have a cordless impact wrench and will only be using my compressor for interior blow outs with a regular Tornador and cleanings with a Tornador Max, do I even need an air dryer, air filter and oil separator any more? Do Tornador products need those like pneumatic air tools like impacts and sanders do? Thanks for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air Compressor Air Dryer/Air Filter/Oil Seperator Set Up With Portable Compressors

I don`t think you want to be blowing oil on your client`s interiors, or blowing out a slug of water from the regular Tornador to turn the dust to mud, I`d say you need to keep your filter/separator. What kind of dryer do you have?

Full disclosure: I don`t have any kind of Tornador.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air Compressor Air Dryer/Air Filter/Oil Seperator Set Up With Portable Compressors

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don`t think you want to be blowing oil on your client`s interiors, or blowing out a slug of water from the regular Tornador to turn the dust to mud, I`d say you need to keep your filter/separator. What kind of dryer do you have?

Full disclosure: I don`t have any kind of Tornador.
    At the moment my very cheap/intro level Harbor Freight compressor does not have a dryer on it but I haven`t used it much for detailing, but want to upgrade to a 30 gallon, 6.2 cfm @90 psi Dewalt to use on interiors and am thinking how I want to set it up. The have the same concerns you mention of shooting oil and water all over interiors and also what that oil and water will do to the Tornadors I just received themselves. Granted, when watching videos of people using Tornadors, I rarely (if ever??) see any of them using filters, dryers or separators, most just connect straight to the compressor, hence my question asking if they are even needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, unfortunately I`m not much help on this really, my air prep experience is more fixed-base industrial, with refrigerated dryers. But at point-of-use, we use coaelescing filters which remove oil and I guess water. One thing that will help you is an auto (float) drain in the bottom of your reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like

This compressor has been burning a hole in my pocket! It`s the smallest compressor around with a CFM at 5.3 at 90PSI. This is the porsche of small compressors. It runs my Tornador effortlessly. And is great for drying since it is an oil free unit.

2d74058b9ccd1f798b2c35d148f93127.jpg41f8c1ee63d76fa8a0544e4a16aab819.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a nice setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmuoio View Post
    This compressor has been burning a hole in my pocket! It`s the smallest compressor around with a CFM at 5.3 at 90PSI. This is the porsche of small compressors. It runs my Tornador effortlessly. And is great for drying since it is an oil free unit.

2d74058b9ccd1f798b2c35d148f93127.jpg41f8c1ee63d76fa8a0544e4a16aab819.jpg
    So you don`t use any air dryers, air filters or oil separators it appears.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    So you don`t use any air dryers, air filters or oil separators it appears.
    No oil.
    California Air Tools 1620S Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free Air Compressor

s-l1600.jpg

Thread Information