Post Thanks / Like

Water pump/rig question

I have sourced a 100 gallon tank locally but now I am stuck as to what other parts I need and how to connect them for my mobile rig.

I own a generator but I know I need a pump between the water tank and the pressure washer. Also for the pressure washer, im assuming it has to be gas powered?

Any ideas on what to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water pump/rig question

Hey.

I have a 65 gallon tank with a Landa gas power washer in my rig. You need to plumb your tank to an on demand pump thst with supply more gpm than your power washer requires, then plumb that to your power washer. You need to use non collapsible hose between the tank and booster, then regular garden hose is fine from the booster to the power washer.

On demand pumps come in two styles, 12volt or 120. One attaches to a car battery, the other requires an outlet.

I opted for the 12volt pump and have done many jobs without charging my battery and never had it die.

Also, make sure you place an inline filter between the tank and on demand pump.

I have a post with my set up on here, I can take more detailed pics tomorrow while I`m working if you`re interested.

I know it sounds confusing but it`s actually not too bad.
    Likes sunshyne, alexxxx89 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the info and it makes sense. I would LOVE to see some pics. I need to nail down which on demand pump to buy and which power washer.

I would not mind the plug in kind as I can plug it into my generator. I wonder if they make one that can work with both maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you get one or the other. I do not keep a generator on my rig so the battery model was best for me. I believe I have a shur-flo on demand 2.8gpm pump. It`s connected to my battery via a toggle switch.

I have a gated wye after the pump, one goes to washer and one to garden hose.

I plan to add a gated wye immediately after the tank as well. One will go to the pump, the other will be plumbed to allow me to fill buckets/bottles without pressure, and to connect a garden hose and fill my tank without the hassle of holding the hose in it. Without this set up, it`s very difficult to fill bottles because you get a constant pressure that tends to blow water and product out of small containers.

As far as which power washer, there`s a lot of variables there. I chose the Landa commercial gas power washer for a few reasons. It`s gas, so I don`t need power if doing a wash. It`s also commercial grade with a warranty. Home owner models aren`t made to run a lot, and will fail prematurely if overused. But the price for mine was 850, which was the cheapest commercial washer in their line, so it`s a cost/benefit thing. 2 years warranty on engine, and 7 years on pump. Or possibly vice-versa. Either way, its anticipated to last me longer than several homeowner models with how often I use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll get pics tomorrow, I might end up plumbing that additional wye in and doing a more detailed write up with pics.

Post Thanks / Like

nice. I have the Sureflo 1 gpm model on a low pressure setup on a 25 gallon tank but I want to go HIGH pressure now to add to my options. Mine too runs on 12volt I hook to a battery as well.

I did not think this style on demand pump would be able to supply a pressure washer with enough water for high pressure. How many PSI is your washer?

Post Thanks / Like

I think 60, will get a pic of specs tomorrow. I think the gpm is the key number though.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s my set up. The extra clamp on the battery is for a trickle charger. Like I said the only change I plan on making I`d a wye before the pump.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

What would a pump like that cost. I mostly do rinseless but sometimes the car is too dirty and needs a spray off first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    What would a pump like that cost. I mostly do rinseless but sometimes the car is too dirty and needs a spray off first.
    Looked online, looks like about 80 before shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Ryobi has a water pump that does about 4.5 gpm powered buy their 18 volt batteries or wall regular plug in. May work well for a small electric pressure washer like my Karcher.

Thread Information