Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rasky's Auto Detailing - High-End Auto Detailing and Premier Coating Installer, Minnesota Metro Area

Awesome shop! And those floors looks great

/Tony
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post
    Thanks RaskyR1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rasky's Auto Detailing - High-End Auto Detailing and Premier Coating Installer, Minnesota Metro Area

RaskyR1 (AKA Chad):
    Thanks for sharing photos of your shop/garage/man cave. Some questions on this new flooring:
    1) How did you find out about this particular flooring and who is the manufacturer?
    2) What was needed to install it? IE, Prep work to old epoxy or removal of old epoxy flooring?
    3) In hind sight, would you have done this flooring if it was available over the epoxy, or was it just too costly at that time? I know DIY with the epoxy installation saved you a lot of that initial cost.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Chad,

Do you have manual control over your camera and a tripod where you can set up a long exposure picture? I bet that would give you a better representation of what your floor looks like in person. Our eyes are amazing at dark adaptation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    RaskyR1 (AKA Chad):
    Thanks for sharing photos of your shop/garage/man cave. Some questions on this new flooring:
    1) How did you find out about this particular flooring and who is the manufacturer?
    2) What was needed to install it? IE, Prep work to old epoxy or removal of old epoxy flooring?
    3) In hind sight, would you have done this flooring if it was available over the epoxy, or was it just too costly at that time? I know DIY with the epoxy installation saved you a lot of that initial cost.
    Hey Lonnie,

1. I had read about polyaspartics when researching flooring but it had a higher cost and I was hesitant because it cures much faster and a lot of articles said it wasn`t best for DIYers. My brother in-law had his garage done a few years ago by the same company and I was very impressed with it, but at the time it was too expensive. I`m not sure what brand they used but it was a very reputable company that applied it (they actually did some of the Mall of America flooring).
    2. They did have to regrind the floors but only fully removed the old coating in the areas where it failed due to me applying it too thick. He said the primer was bonding very well in the other areas. I would highly suggest that anyone who plans to apply a floor coating to have the floors grinded or shot blasted, prep is key!
    3. In hind sight I would have just paid to have it professionaly applied and saved money in the long run. Not sure which coating I would have went with but when it comes to polyaspartics vs. epoxy each seems to have their pros and cons. I was impressed with my brother in-laws place though and how it has held up over the years so I wanted the same thing he had applied. The polyaspartics cure super fast too and I needed a quick turn around as I couldn`t have my garage tied up waiting for the epoxy to cure.

Some other thoughts....

I will say it`s a very noticeable difference in durability so far over the old epoxy, but to be fair that is in part due to the urethane top coat I used with the epoxy and the lack of the chips being added. Even this new stuff is a little slick when wet, though not near as bad as the old stuff was. Having the chips added helps with the slip resistance and they added some other stuff too, aluminum oxide I believe. It seems to depend more on shoe choice though as I haven`t slipped at all but my wife came out in sandals one day when I was washing a car and she said it was slippery. The installer said having the chips adds more texture and that I shouldn`t have any issues with my creeper chair casters marring my floor like the old stuff...I haven`t seen a single mark yet after several cars being done so that`s awesome. The glow chips were pretty expensive and had the company not offered to split the cost with me I probably wouldn`t have done them. I talked to the one worker and he said he`d been doing this 20 years and had never seen it before so they were just as excited to see how it would look as I was. I`d love to figure out how to better capture how it looks in person with pics and maybe even play around with it and some light painting on a finished car.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    Chad,

Do you have manual control over your camera and a tripod where you can set up a long exposure picture? I bet that would give you a better representation of what your floor looks like in person. Our eyes are amazing at dark adaptation.
    I do. 2 of the above pics were with my DSLR and a 30 second shutter. One of my clients does photography and he is going to come over one evening and mess around with some pics. The zoomed in pic is a pretty close representation but viewing the full room just looks different, especially once your eyes adjust.
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425

Thread Information