Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Other side of the coin here, maybe because my wife and I come across as LEO-friendly and I think that makes all the difference. I can honestly say that we`ve had *zero* problems for decades (and that includes a fair number of traffic stops including some very egregious speeding violations).

If, OTOH, my wife or I *did get unjustly hassled, their dept. would have a trip through the legal system that they wouldn`t soon forget

Post Thanks / Like
    See that`s the thing, I`m totally respectful and don`t do the whole "I pay your salary" crap. But I also don`t admit guilt till I know what they are trying to pull me over for. It`s not like it happens all the time, it`s just these ones stick out in my memory the most. Hell I`m never even home enough really so it`s odd to me. I get to drive my car maybe 6 days every few months thanks to touring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nrengle
    .. But I also don`t admit guilt till I know what they are trying to pull me over for..

Heh heh, well...I *always* know why I`m being pulled over Kinda surprising how admitting my guilt so often results in some kind of break :nixweiss

One thing that I`m sure helps is that I always conduct myself *exactly* the way LEOs want: ignition off, flashers on, windows down if tinted, keys on the dash, hands palms up and empty on the steering wheel, every action explained and sanctioned before it happens, and that hard-to-verbalize "LEO-friendly vibe".

Post Thanks / Like
    I got ya on that, I do the same thing, keys though never thought of, maybe that`s the ticket? I also always have my license and reg and insurance card ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got ya on that, I do the same thing, keys though never thought of, maybe that`s the ticket? I also always have my license and reg and insurance card ready to go.

The more stuff that gives a "this won`t be the one..." first impression the better IMO. When they see the keys on the dash maybe they think "he understands..".

Don`t *GIVE* the LEO the keys though (for various reasons). Don`t consent to a search of the vehice either.

I never have my reg/ins. docs ready, I always have to say "they`re in the glovebox, should I get them out now?". I keep such stuff securely stowed away (out of sight) and I don`t reach around inside the vehicle when I know I`m getting pulled over (except to secure the dog if I need to).

Post Thanks / Like
    I Live South of Dayton Ohio. I got a freakin ticket today and have been searching the laws. I knew I knew the law but the cop kept telling me different. I know the rear doors and the back window is any tint. He didnt use one of those things that tell the percentage on the front doors windows. I have limo tint on back rear and 35% on all 4 doors. My windows were rolled down but he kept telling me my tint was illegal on the back. Im thinking of fighting it because he didnt see the 4 door windows.. He was being an a&#wipe. Does anyone think I can get out of it?? I am sooooo Mad... Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    if he did not meter it, it will probably get dropped...
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzzyq11
    I Live South of Dayton Ohio. I got a freakin ticket today and have been searching the laws. I knew I knew the law but the cop kept telling me different. I know the rear doors and the back window is any tint. He didnt use one of those things that tell the percentage on the front doors windows. I have limo tint on back rear and 35% on all 4 doors. My windows were rolled down but he kept telling me my tint was illegal on the back. Im thinking of fighting it because he didnt see the 4 door windows.. He was being an a&#wipe. Does anyone think I can get out of it?? I am sooooo Mad... Thanks

Yeah, I *do* think you`ll beat it, sounds pretty clear-cut (assuming you`re right about the rules regarding the backlight; I *think* you are but I`m not 100% certain).

FWIW, I just don`t see anybody being able to argue it effectively to the LEO during the stop; unfortuntely I think it`ll have to be done in court. Assuming you`re vindicated, that might be a good time to inquire about the hassle/expense/etc. you were forced to go through over a LEO not knowing what`s what.

Post Thanks / Like
    STATE FRONT SIDES, REAR SIDES, BACK WINDOW, VISOR, NET/FILM

OH 50% ANY% ANY% 70% NET

State Window Tinting Laws
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    LouisanaJeeper- Thanks for posting that link. Looks like Suzzyq11 might be able to get a little satisfaction during her day in court....I`d take a pitbull of an attorney along myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator your suggestion of the keys on the dash worked like a charm over the weekend in Chicago. I got pulled over speeding, doing a 54 in 45 (speedometer said I was doing 48). Cop let me go with a written warning. She said I was pretty calm for being in a car from out of state, and being pulled over at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking for Alabama, here in Mobile we have 2 tint laws. One gives the percentage of light and for that the LEO must have a tint meter with him/her. The other, (32-5-215(d), the one I urge my officers to use, says,

"(d) No person shall operate a motor vehicle which has a windshield, sidewing or rear window which has tinting to the extent or manufactured in such a way that occupants of the vehicle cannot be easily identified or recognized through the sidewing or rear windows from outside the motor vehicle."

No meter is necessary.

So that State Window Tinting Laws site is incomplete.
    Gary
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator your suggestion of the keys on the dash worked like a charm over the weekend in Chicago. I got pulled over speeding, doing a 54 in 45 (speedometer said I was doing 48). Cop let me go with a written warning. She said I was pretty calm for being in a car from out of state, and being pulled over at night.

I`m glad to hear that. See folks...doing the LEO-friendly thing really can work in your favor; everything starts off on a good note. IMO it, at the very least, projects a "this guy`s OK, he *gets* it.." vibe.

Heh heh, interesting that she mentioned your being calm...I bet it had something to do with *her* feeling calmer than usual (out of state cars late at night scream "THREAT!" to her a lot more than some speeding ticket does to most people ).

Post Thanks / Like
    When she said it, I was a little surprised, but turned around and said there`s nothing to be nervous about. Then she gave me the written warning.

Post Thanks / Like
    nrengle- That was a good response :xyxthumbs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information