Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GT500 detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I have GT500 2008 took delivery in Nov 2007, at the dealer they did some cleaning of the engine when they prepped it (wish they did not) that left stains on the metal parts of the engine that i would like to include in the detailing.

the link to the photos was posted on another forum the link to that threadis:

Rust prevention idea - Team Shelby

any ideas about that stain is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe try some Flitz metal polish on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got your PM sharabi. My guess is that the dealer wash removed the protective coating from those engine parts which I assume are aluminum. Without the protective coating they will oxidize which is what I think is happening to your Shelby. Maybe try to clean it off and then re-apply some sort of protectant? Good luck.

Grant

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel WD-40 as mentioned in the post would be the best short term solution,although Its flammable so don`t get it on your headers or turbo.

Post Thanks / Like
    any pro detailers close to oak park MI that posted pics or have threads of work they have done on this forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sharabi
    any pro detailers close to oak park MI that posted pics or have threads of work they have done on this forum?
    I think you will get more responses if you post your request in the regional section

best of luck

Post Thanks / Like
    It is under regional forums Midwest section where MI is.

or i got something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is under regional forums Midwest section where MI is.

or i got something wrong?

no you were correct

my bad

Post Thanks / Like
    I have GT500 2008 took delivery in Nov 2007, at the dealer they did some cleaning of the engine when they prepped it (wish they did not) that left stains on the metal parts of the engine that i would like to include in the detailing.

the link to the photos was posted on another forum the link to that threadis:

Rust prevention idea - Team Shelby

any ideas about that stain is appreciated

Have you thought about bringing this up to the Ford dealer? I have no idea what they would do but at least maybe make a record of it in case something does start oxidizing or rusting.
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    I am waiting for a sunny day to take it there, i already spoke with the service manager, but from what they did i do not have trust any more...so i would like the problem diagnosed from the pros, and if they recommend the same remedy i will go with what the dealer says.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was sunny day but very cold one,and i had it off so i took her to the dealer and showed them the engine bay. I had the same response I had from another forum..... calcium deposits on the aluminum parts (Oxidized aluminum surface) and it wasn`t unusual to them.. they mentioned to me that the water on hot aluminum surface would do that , it may differ from one car to another on how early or late it will show, depends on those aluminum parts how long they have been on the shelf before they were installed on the vehicle at the plant..Remedy? ..WD-40.

I will do those aluminum parts with WD-40 as soon as the car cools down. It was fun to drive since she likes cold air.

Knowing the nature of the problem do you guys have a long lasting solution other the temporary one with WD-40.

thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharabi:

As I suggested in my PM to you, I would suggest an aluminum cleaner and then a baking soda and water spray to neutralize any acids and then a soap and water wash and then finally dress it with some cd2

Post Thanks / Like
    Does CD2 interferes with heat dissipation the aluminum supposed to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to sidetrack this topic, but nice work on detailing your rear end Sharabi! My Firehawk is in dire need of this too. As you stated in your post, I dont know why auto makers wont spend $5 to paint the axles...all of those products must have set you back quit a bit to do yours but you did it the correct way! Kudos, you are the type person who needs to hang out here with the rest of us clean freaks.
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur about the Oxidized aluminum surface, my car sits covered 95% of the time and I get that stuff too on aluminum surfaces, wipe it off or a light wipe down with WD-40, nothing really to worry about, CD-2 engine detailer will work too if you can find some at any local autozone, but be warned its been cancelled so all you will find will be the remnants if any... is your garage cold & damp?
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information