Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WCD
    Just returned. Oakwood was great and we hung out at the Dayton CC most of the time..a bit warm for us CA folk.

My wife and I like a house, but a few financials need to be worked out. I am applying for various teaching positions, but time is short as the school year is only about 8 weeks away. We want to be there when school starts for the kids. She wants to make a decision today!!!

We might not make it there, but man, it would cost so much less!!! Housing is about 80% less than here in SB.

Thanks, Rob

Rob, Glad you like the area. Question- the housing is cheaper, but are the pay scales less than where you`re from?

Jeff
    Have Fun!
    Docker

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but the housing is 80% less!! A house we liked for around 350k would be 1.75 million here. The teachers were not paid 80% less, that`s for sure. Also, we pay for trash pick up and other things that are included in the taxes in Oakwood. Another example is that the Oakwood center is $244 per year and we pay $93 per month for the same type of thing.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s official! We`re moving around Aug. 18th to Oakwood, Ohio. I will take Aug. to get things set up, but plan to do business out of there. I`m going to check the local car wash and see if I can manage it for the 10 months we live there. I`d like to get more hands-on experience with a larger wash vs. a detail shop. I might also go to Auto INT. in Cinci. Can`t wait to see a Browns game!!!

I hope to meet some of you Autopians during the year I`m there.

Talk to you soon,

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the area! I`m in Miamisburg about 10 minutes down the road. I have just started doing detailing on the side, but hope to expand very quickly. Give me a shout.

Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Really late on this thread, but I`m from Dayton (beavercreek).

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checking...we did not get into Oakwood- don`t like pets. I`m in Centerville. No shop, but have a Vapormaster if you locals ever want to plan a "detail" day. I also have my Cyclo and Makita with me + Valugard and One Grand Products.

I might be able to get a local detail shop to let me use on a Sunday.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checking...we did not get into Oakwood- don`t like pets. I`m in Centerville. No shop, but have a Vapormaster if you locals ever want to plan a "detail" day. I also have my Cyclo and Makita with me + Valugard and One Grand Products.

I might be able to get a local detail shop to let me use on a Sunday.

Rob

Hope your liking Centerville. Hopefully in the next few months you might hear my name being tossed around through people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hart,

I was close to buying some property on Salem Ave. The traffic counts are good and prices cheap for closed gas stations with two bays and so on. However, a family friend said that that area is not safe and would probably pose problems with theft and security.

If you want to talk shop sometime, let me know. I am open to ideas of any kind that involve longevity in this business.

I am writing an article right now on detailing business start-ups and will let you know when and where it`s published.

I understand Beavercreek is a nice area with more modest incomes. Oakwood would be great for you as well. I don`t see ANY mobile guys around here..only saw one a few months ago. I`d like to check out the Oakwood car wash- in Kettering really. Site looks old and in poor condition. A nice shop in Oakwood would do well, I think. Only problem is that Oakwood does not have much commercial space that is set up for detailing- mostly office type buildings.

Talk soon, Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hart,

I was close to buying some property on Salem Ave. The traffic counts are good and prices cheap for closed gas stations with two bays and so on. However, a family friend said that that area is not safe and would probably pose problems with theft and security.

If you want to talk shop sometime, let me know. I am open to ideas of any kind that involve longevity in this business.

I am writing an article right now on detailing business start-ups and will let you know when and where it`s published.

I understand Beavercreek is a nice area with more modest incomes. Oakwood would be great for you as well. I don`t see ANY mobile guys around here..only saw one a few months ago. I`d like to check out the Oakwood car wash- in Kettering really. Site looks old and in poor condition. A nice shop in Oakwood would do well, I think. Only problem is that Oakwood does not have much commercial space that is set up for detailing- mostly office type buildings.

Talk soon, Rob

I know all about Oakwood being I`ve lived in Beavercreek my whole life (20) and my girlfriend of 1.5 years lives in Oakwood. Right across from the HS. They actually just sold their house though.

That`s why I decided to start a mobile business. I`ve never seen ANY one around here. There are a ton of cookie cutter detail shops on every corner along with DIY car wash crap shoots. I believe there will also be good business up in Centerville and Springboro. These "small" cities are really taking off in the last 10 years.

I work at Beavercreek Golf Club. Being a nice public course I see a lot of people and know all of our members fairly well. I`ve been speaking with them and handing out my business cards. Like I said, I am 20, but feel confident I`m starting well and doing everything right. I`ve been putting this all together for the last 5-6 months.

I actually had my first "official" detail today in Piqua.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be up there playing golf soon..saw an add for $50 with cart and practice balls. I am getting the clubs out...used to be a 4.5 hdp years ago.

You should visit the sba.gov site. It`s a great resource for business start-ups. It has outlines of business plans, marketing ideas, advertising, finding your market, etc.

Make sure you WRITE down your plan. This is what most do not do and then they faulter after a short while. Know exactly what it costs you to work on a car-including insurance, fuel, marketing expenses, product cost, taxes, etc. So many, including me at one time, think that $40 per hour is $40 per hour. They might be spending $25 per hour and are back to making $25 per hour after expenses. Sadly, they don`t realize this until it is too late.

We should meet for lunch sometime. I am working on a detail shop business at the moment.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be up there playing golf soon..saw an add for $50 with cart and practice balls. I am getting the clubs out...used to be a 4.5 hdp years ago.

You should visit the sba.gov site. It`s a great resource for business start-ups. It has outlines of business plans, marketing ideas, advertising, finding your market, etc.

Make sure you WRITE down your plan. This is what most do not do and then they faulter after a short while. Know exactly what it costs you to work on a car-including insurance, fuel, marketing expenses, product cost, taxes, etc. So many, including me at one time, think that $40 per hour is $40 per hour. They might be spending $25 per hour and are back to making $25 per hour after expenses. Sadly, they don`t realize this until it is too late.

We should meet for lunch sometime. I am working on a detail shop business at the moment.

Rob

The deal at Beavercreek is actually $55 on Sat. and Sun. before 2. Includes cart, range balls, bottle water, and a lunch off our menu (you have to get the burger, it`s huge). I think after 2 it`s $39 and after 6 it`s $20.

Weekdays: $39; after 2 - $30, after 6 - $20.

All rates include cart. about 99% of the players ride. It`s an extremely difficult course to walk.

Let me know when you are coming sometime, I`ll get you a discount, I believe it`s $20 or $25 anytime anyday w/ cart. I`ve been there for 6 years now so I know everythhing inside and out, haha.

I`ll check out the website.

Here`s mine: Hart`s Auto Detailing - We Come to You!. I have my prices list and such on there as well. They may seem a little low, but I am just starting and getting my name out there. Also, this is Dayton, OH, majority people here are not going to pay $300 for a detail of a car. Sure maybe one of other week from Oakwood, but I`ll get 2-4 per week at $150 once I get my name out.

Hopefully things start to really take off in the next few months and I really get a solid customer base and appointments by July. I really like being Mobile, I think customer`s really enjoy this and don`t have to worry about the hassle of dropping a car off or waiting. Right now though, I have to use the customer`s water and electricity. I would love to be able to get a trailer and have it painted or professionally done with my logo, name, info, etc. on it. Have a nice looking black truck done a similar way pulling it. This is my vision and goal one day. But, of course, the main objective is to be able to make a reasonable profit. I think I`m at a great time and opportunity right now to start this thing up. I don`t have a family and kids, so I don`t need to stress out about having to make 40-60K dollars a year. I have quite a few years to build the business up and I know I will make it, and go over that, one day. I`m very particulate about what I do. My biggest challenge I think right now is trying to get the first few customers, that`s why referrals are so important. I`m really depending on a lot of first few customers coming from the golf course. They all know my work ethic and know I work hard and do well. Hopefully they will then spread the word.

As of now, I also do not have insurance, nor plan on getting it unless things really take off. I thought I read somewhere that someone could get it for around $100 a month from State Farm for being mobile. That seems very reasonable but is going to take a lot of looking into and research.

I`m going to PM you a could questions that I don`t wish to post on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    New to Autopia! Referred by the Benzworld site. I live in Beavercreek. I am looking for some detail options for my Benz. Would love to meet up and talk. Beavercreek would be a great place for detailing. Let me know.

Michael.

Also, in response to the property and safety of Salem - I would take a second look. There is a planned revitalization of the three historic neighborhoods that Salem runs thru. Gov`t money will be available to redo the property and the values will undoubtedly rise. I work at Good Sam Hospital and the housing is beautiful. It is a matter of the ghetto element that I assume your friend was speaking to. It really depends where on Salem. Closer to Downtown would be ideal. Oh and CHEAP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

I believe it`s about 5 blocks from the 75, not way up on Salem. The city will fix a rate at 3% on the loan.

Correct, the area is under "revital" satus and I`ve spoken with community leaders and the city- very helpful and cooperative.

However, my aunt, who manages an industrial lighting company in Cleveland, checked it out and advised me against it. Mainly, because I`m moving back to CA. in 7 weeks.

I tried to find a legitiment detail shop/detailer that wanted to move in there and I would finance the deal- color scheme, equipment, etc. I did not get one response.

I`m not done with Dayton- we are looking at other residential investments. The prices are at a 10-year low and as you said, they will come up.

I have a few guys in CA. that I can work with, but none wish to move from the beach! However, where I am, prices are around 1.5 mil. and up for anything commercial.

If you have time, we should meet for coffee up there as I like to get many different opinions as possible. I`d glady trade some MF towels for your time.

Rob Regan

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you still looking at places around Dayton? I am just East of Dayton in Xenia. There are a lot of empty commercial buildings available around this city. I have not found a single detailer in this area that I would use. (I am kind of picky?)

Xenia is not that far from Dayton and the costs, I think, would be a lot less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colonel,

Thanks for the ideas. I am back in southern CA.

I will travel to Dayton next summer unless my RE agent finds something before then in the residential area- apt. complex stuff.

I am still going to work on a brand and so on and we`ll see. The location on Salem did not work out due to lack of area from street to the tunnels/bays. If I lived there, it would be an express exterior with coffee kiosk at the exit- Boston Stoker! I would be onsite each day and that is the key for me.

Thanks, Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information