Post Thanks / Like

how I use the PC

I introduced some deep scretches into the paint with a Toyota car key. They are pretty deep even thought the picture doesn`t show well. Looked good throught the viewfinder!

Here is the amount I use for deep scretches

I spread the product around and work it in at speed 3 for a few seconds and I move the PC pretty fast. I turn it up to 6 and then at high speeds I move the PC very slow.

I work it in until the product is almost gone. I saw that the imperfection wasn`t going anywhere....

Even after 4 more times you could see some of the scretches

So in that case this is what I do - I apply a fairly large amount of ssr 2.5 into the center of the problem area, put the PC over it and I turn it on at speed 6. Like before, I work it in until product is almost gone, but I barely move the PC - maybe an inch, back and forth. (The pad was smoking when I lifted the PC off the panel which I have never seen before).

This method usually takes care of most of them, but not this time....

So I did this on speed 6 x 3

And this!! x 2 (speed 6) - you can see that all scretches were removed by this time along with all the shine

I got another pad and worked in ssr 1 the same way as I did ssr 2.5 (first at 3 and worked ssr 1 in on 6) x2

But it was still hazy and I had some dacp in my apartment (Sorry Steve) so I tried that to see what would happen. Again I worked the product in at 3 and bumped it upto 6 and worked it in until almost dry x 2

I put a coat of 3M liquid show car wax on top of dacp. I threw away the wool pad even though I just opened the bag - after using it, it smelled like a wet dog and I don;t like that smell.

Here are the result but I tell you that I did a half a$$ job ""perfecting"" the finish, as you can see in the last picture because this was a how I use my pc thread and not """look what I can do"""

Gracias amigos!

here you can see where the blue tape was which is untreated and clearer.

I hope this was helpful to some of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how I use the PC

TDE,
    Thanks for a great write up and demo I don`t have a PC yet, but hoping for XMAS. I also plan on practicing on an older car that I have so that I may get used to the machine. Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome darkhorse.

With the pc you can practice on your "nice" car. It is very safe and I doubt you will damage your paint unless you want to. Even then it takes alot and some heavy duty compound.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work thanks for sharing with DC
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

you are welcome Steve! Thanks for all the great product you produce!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I am getting a pc and will find this info. very useful.
    its better to ride evenif you get thrown than to wind up wishing you had

Post Thanks / Like

you are most welcome Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea for excellent
    results, ill keep poorboys in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the info and the demo. I can now see why I didn`t the sucess I hoped for when I tried to remove some deep scratches form my daughter`s Bug. I will take another whack at it armed with your suggestions. A couple questions, if I may....Do you find that you use SSR3 often? Also, is ther any specific tyoe of lambswool pad that you prefer and where do you purchase them? Again, many thanks for the helpful information.

detail-a-holic
    Post Thanks / Like

So, basically if upon first compound the scratches are still obvious, increasing the product, or the pressure, or both?

I know to start least aggressive and work your way up - but I`ve also been told to let the weight of the buffer do the work (I use Makita)

With a fresh foam pad, medium cutting, last question would be what RPM is optimal for scracth removal? Do I use varying RPM`s for light and heavy scratching and marring - or just use longer time-under-buffing to remove deeper scratches before wiping and inspecting and repeating?
    I`m on a five year plan... for a Cervini C-500, lol

Thread Information