Post Thanks / Like

How to Correct Scratches in Clear Bra Material (PPF)

Ok, so the other night I was driving home from work and heard that horrible sound. You know the sound - you hit something, but you just don`t know what or how bad it is. Your basically crapping your pants because you don`t know if it went under the car or on the side of it. Well, I got pretty lucky this time. The damage was just on the paint protection film (PPF) on the rear wheel slab.

This is an aftermarket sacrificial film. It`s meant to take a beating because the rear wheels kick stuff up to this area. So, I`m not looking for perfection here. For $30 bucks I could just replace it. This is the damage:

Not too bad, but the scratches are noticeable. I`ve never seen I real "guide" on how to polish/correct PPF. Not saying on isn`t out there, but I`ll show you how I do it.

Some rules I follow on PPF:

1. Never compound PPF. It`s soft. All you need is a polish and polishing pads. If the scratch is too deep for that - it`s toast.

2. Use a SMAT based polish with little or no fillers. I like Optimum Polish II:

You can get visible significant scratches out of PPF with polish and a polishing pad only.

3. Use a little bit of polish. Less than usual. But, use a pad lubricant like Wolfgang Pad Prep or ONR. You don`t need a ton of abrasives, but you want a ton of lube. Also, you don`t want to use a ton of polish because you want the polish to work CLEAR. What I mean is, you want a film that is hardly visible, so you can see the scratches your working on while your working on them. But, you don`t want to dry buff - that`s where the pad lube helps.

4. I`m using a GG6 here. For scratches on PPF, I won`t go about speed 4-4.5. But, I will use a decent amount of downward pressure for a few seconds. Make many lighter passes.

5. Follow up with a few light passes on speed 3-3.5

6. Obviously, don`t let anything get hot.

7. Don`t go for 100% correction - 90% is achievable. PPF is flexible, so the film is likely "dented" where the scratch is. You likely won`t remove it all. If you try to remove it 100% - disaster is eminent.

After (no LSP):

Here my finger is where the scratch was:

As you can see, the PPF is "dimpled" from rock impacts. That`s it`s job and I`m not worried about that. After correction, you want to use a sealant on it with UV protection, or possibly a coating.

Good luck. Remember - No Guts, No Glory.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Correct Scratches in Clear Bra Material (PPF)

Cool guide/advice

Thanks
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good knowledge to have & soak up, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. That`s some heavy orange peel. Is it from the paint or magnified by the PPF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the tip. That`s some heavy orange peel. Is it from the paint or magnified by the PPF?
    It`s in the PPF. It all the hit marks the paint would have taken without PPF. The paint is all factory BMW paint.

Thread Information