Post Thanks / Like

Face to Face Marketing

I have been running my part time detailing business for about 2 years now. The business is both stationary and mobile.I have gradually been building up a larger customer base over this time. I really haven`t did a whole lot in the marketing area besides business cards and flyers mailed out to friends and acquaintances. Most of my new business has been generated by word of mouth and referrals from satisfied customers. I would like to try and increase my customer base by some new form of Marketing. I do not consider myself to be a very good salesman although I am confident of my work and know that that I offer a great service.

One of the ideas that I had was to dress neatly in my business polos and go door to door in a wealthy section of town and introduce myself and hand out some information on what services that I have to offer. This area has a lot of "well to do" retired people along with doctors, lawyers, etc. Have any of you guys tried this sort of thing - and if so, what kind of response did you see ? I am totally against leaving flyers and cards on peoples cars or on the doors of their homes. This practice just seems evasive and unprofessional. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Face to Face Marketing

What you propose is light years ahead of dropping flyers on homes or cars. Be professional and give them a reason to use you.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Face to Face Marketing

I have been advocating this for years - its even better if you can live in that neighborhood, and the Bentley`s, Aston`s, Maserati, Mercedes`, Audi`s, BMW`s, Porsche`s, drive by daily and see your very neat organized garage and a beautifully Detailed vehicle inside...

Your idea is very sound and will yield results if you will follow your plan !

You will come Prepared, a Detailed paint thickness gauge, a Clean small flashlight with a new battery in it, and a Clean microfiber in your pocket.. And a bottle of expensive QD in your car - not in your pocket..

Absolutely, have to be dressed professionally, clean, shaved face, smell good, no smoke smell, make constant non-threatening eye contact, smile, and have rock-solid Confidence, and a Deep Understanding and Experience level in Detailing these high end cars...

See if the neighborhood has a Yacht Club, Clubhouse, etc., and find out if you can leave really nice, professionally made, thick, business cards there... Get to know the people that run this facility, perhaps Detail one of their vehicles at the highest level, and you just got some Fans of your Work !

Again, as I have said before, these prospective Clients are educated, can pretty much spot BS, and want You to be equally Smart, Motivated, Enthusiastic, Concise, have a Great Command of English, can Answer all their Questions at Their Level, and also bring along a very Perfect Example of Your Work - Your Perfectly Detailed Vehicle..

You will also need to be very, very, Good At Numbers - in Your Head, because most of these people are, and that is one reason why they are wealthy..

You will need to be able to negotiate sometimes, again, quickly doing the math in your head (because you are very experienced, right ?) and be comfortable going off your Price List sometimes, for the greater long-term business...

Do you have a Loaner car ? This might become necessary and is always a winner.. And yeah, that Loaner has to be Detailed perfectly because it is also Selling YOU, your Business...

If you show up in a Beater, etc., your credibility is already in the negative numbers...

I offer you this advice not because I just Think its necessary, but because I Lived in that neighborhood for 10 years and regrettably, had to leave many, many, loyal Clients - the ones who started things like Microsoft, Fluke, Starbucks, Costco, Nordstrom`s, Boeing, and dozens more...

I hate Flyers on my car and never read them, just throw them away in the nearest trash can.

Good Luck ! Go Forward ! Not Backward !
    Dan F

Thread Information