Post Thanks / Like

Detailing certificate for dealer trade-in

Hi guys

We all know that detailing affects the resale value of a vehicle, adding value by rejuventating exterior and interior surfaces.

I have always passed this advice on to new and existing clients and I think I have been successful in educating them as to the importance of detailing.

A few days ago a client of mine told me he was thinking of trading his car in and getting something new and would like me to give him some sort of certification or proof of it being detailed (beside the original invoice). The vehicle was given a one step correction and interior detail several months ago and received monthly maintenance since.

Just like a full service history on mechanical maintenance I understand his need for a document as proof of care for the vehicle, but what I wanted to ask everyone is if you think it is actually necessary.

I have always thought that the results of detailing can have an unspoken effect on resale when trading in (subconsciously to the dealer).

Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any experience with something like this I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never heard of anyone asking for a certificate. I always thought the results speak for themselves. I`d think a dealer would be able to tell from looking if a car has been well taken care of or just cleaned for the sake of being traded in. I`ve bought several cars over the years and I`ve seen people trade in their car without as much as cleaning out the trash or personal items.

With that said I bought my Trans Am because it came with service records of every oil change and service it had. It was an added bonus but wasn`t even used as a selling point by the dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing certificate for dealer trade-in

What I have learned about trading cars in, the dealership could careless about if the car is detailed or not. It certainly doesn`t hurt to have the car clean so it presents well, but they are going to do a check on the car then let there detailers clean it, this has been my observation of trading in cars.

Now if he was going to sell it as a private sale, then absolutely having in detailed bumper to bumper will command a higher and faster sale. As for a certificate of detailing, can`t say that would have any effect on the sale, the car will speak for itself IMO. Mechanical records are always important shows how the car was taken care of or what`s failed and been replaced.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Your client sounds like a whack job. I`ve sold a lot of cars and can only think of one time that someone asked for the maintanence records (much less detailing record). As long as the car looks good, has new tires and passes the Carfax report, thats all that seems to matter

* edit Nothing wrong with having whack job customers as long as they are aware of their whackiness and willing to pay extra. For some reason they all seem to gravitate towards me. I understand their whacky little ways

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughts on this, Mike -

I would think that the Invoice and your business card would be all that the Client needs to show that the work was done, and like you and everyone said - the work speaks for itself.

A Chrysler Convertible I detailed awhile back went to the Dealer to be traded in, and the Sales people send it out their "Detailer" to get an estimate of how much it would cost to "get it ready" as part of their "reconditioning process", etc...

The lady and the Sales guy waited awhile and finally, the Detailer came back and asked - "what do you want me to do to this car?" "It`s perfect."
    The lady right then and there thought - why AM I trading in my perfect car anyway? She changed her mind and took it back home..

I have also Detailed cars for people that they were selling and every time I do this, they end up selling the car like to the first person that sees it.

Your good work will not need a whole lot to motivate a would-be-buyer when they see the car, if you ask me..

Dan F

Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Trouble.

In this electronic age, it is so easy to find information about any newer car, just using the VIN number. Offering some record of professional detailing doesn`t make any sense to me at all.

Trading in only four cars in four states, in the last fifteen years, certainly does NOT make me any kind of expert though.

The dealer DOES want a clean/great-looking car. Who wouldn`t? Dealers are lazy, even with high-end cars. If they can move the car faster, even to another state, because of its "amazing appearance", so much the better,... for the person trading in the car. And the dealer. I believe decent tires also help.

But "certification" for detailing? Not.

Appearance will speak for itself, as others have typed. Documentation, not needed.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s another game that someone wants to play with. It won`t prove nothing to the dealer because a unit is a unit them as long it wouldn`t need any major reconditioning by them. if they do take it in trade it just moves down to " Buy Here and Pay Here " dealer lot`s.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

A totally pointless and meaningless piece of paper that a dealer could not care less about.
    It may be worth it if he is selling not trading as it might gain you a new customer to keep it maintained.

Post Thanks / Like

It goes both ways when i was selling my jeep with over 200k on the odo.. people could not believe I didn`t have the truck repainted at one time and they kept walking away from it some actually telling me i was lying to them..

Now when I traded in the Subaru.

Excellent
    $5,832

that was the KBB value...

I got 7500... except for a few spots in the rug that where worn though.

Having a clean car works well at time but not so much other times

Post Thanks / Like

Print up a document on your computer and have it notarized. If the guy/gal is a `really` good customer let them have it for free. If not, offer it for $75

Sometimes you have to work with these whackjobs to keep them happy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holland_patrick View Post
    It goes both ways when i was selling my jeep with over 200k on the odo.. people could not believe I didn`t have the truck repainted at one time and they kept walking away from it some actually telling me i was lying to them..

Now when I traded in the Subaru.

Excellent
    $5,832

that was the KBB value...

I got 7500... except for a few spots in the rug that where worn though.

Having a clean car works well at time but not so much other times
    Solid advice! I detailed my brother in laws 04 Acura that was going onto a consignment lot. Once the car was listed on their site and Craigslist. It sold in less than an hour at the highest price on KBB. It really does make a difference when selling the car, but for trading in, not so much
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

If you shine up the motor and put greasy stuff on the tires ppl will be intrested

Post Thanks / Like

First let me say....

Thank you everyone for your insightful and helpful replies. It`s great to have a discussion like this.

I have always educated clients on the benefits of detailing especially at resale but I think I have lots more to add to my "client education toolbox" after this thread.

As I like to keep my clients happy I think I`ll draw one up anyway. Will post what feedback the dealer gives (if any).

Thanks again,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Just some feedback for everyone:

My client took his car to a dealer to assess (without any record or certificate of detailing) and his comment on the paintwork was "amazing". The dealer then asked for my contact info

The proof is definitely in the pudding...

Thread Information