Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How About a Real Mobile Detailers Magazine!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL View Post
    In my opinion PC&D are a waste of time. To much tunnel wash crap and cheap towel adds. Not been a lot of DETAILERS info in there. They want to sell 10s of thousands of dollars worth of product not a 1-200 total sale of usable product. I wont renew my PC&D. Im even not renewing my HOT ROD after 35 years of reading it. Very little info in that any more too. Read and ask questions in the forums, then put that info to practice and tell us good or bad. Much easy in forums than than on paper and having to pay others to do it in a magazine.
    I don`t pay for my subscription. I ordered a trial Mag and they send them every month. Once a year I get a "this is your last magazine" yet the still send them.

I do agree that they need more detailing though.

Didn`t someone overseas make a detailing magazine, but everyone that ordered one never got one? Or some did and some didn`t. (was a thread on another forum)
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Another point would be "do you have enough "article material" to keep a magazine interesting issue after issue." I`ve noticed that the bulk of topics on forums seem to be about the same as previous posts: Best wax for Black; How to care for my NEW car; How to remove a scratch without much time/money/effort; etc. Once you cover these topics, I don`t see how you`ll be able to keep your subscribers interested enough to renew.
    Plus, you mentioned getting some companies to run ads in it. If you mention Brand X in an article, you may alienate other advertisers. But if you don`t do anything to promote their bottom line, they won`t be too willing to keep advertising.
    As to the advertising, I`ve noticed that many magazines are well over half ads with a few articles scattered throughout the mag. If this is what`s needed to stay profitable, you`ll be needing LOTS of advertisers to keep out of the red, and I`m not sure they`d be that readily available.
    Also, there`s all the legal aspects-licences, taxes, copyrights etc. I don`t think it would work too well as a part time hobby venture, especially if you had no experience/contacts in the industry.

But, if you happen to pursue this idea, I might be interested in at least the first issue.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

I think we could make this a winner if we built the magazine around and titled it, Detailing and Firearms.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I think we could make this a winner if we built the magazine around and titled it, Detailing and Firearms.
    Clever.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a great idea! It may get a lot more people into detailing even everyday people would start to want to get their car done. A lot of people don`t fully understand what all goes into detailing, the magazine would be a great educational tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Star Detail View Post
    Didn`t someone overseas make a detailing magazine, but everyone that ordered one never got one? Or some did and some didn`t. (was a thread on another forum)
    "WaxIt" Published in the UK. Issue One was excellent. Issue Two... well, been waiting two years for Issue Two. I know it`s been printed, but the Publisher, Simon Denver was his name, I think, apparently preferred to sell out the issue on EBay than to mail it to customers who had paid for an annual subscription.
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

took my half a year before i gotmy first issue.. ill never by from him again

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    "WaxIt" Published in the UK. Issue One was excellent. Issue Two... well, been waiting two years for Issue Two. I know it`s been printed, but the Publisher, Simon Denver was his name, I think, apparently preferred to sell out the issue on EBay than to mail it to customers who had paid for an annual subscription.
    Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    took my half a year before i got my first issue.. ill never by from him again
    OUCH.... That sucks. Wonder how much Money he made from forums members. I would have been pissed.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack this thread, but I find Sir Simon posting on Detailing World, UK, as of 01/2010. It seems he has published Issues 1 through 4 of WaxiT, the complete annual subscription for which I paid in full. Too bad he saw fit to only send me Issue 1.

Judging by all the "Where the hell is my mag?" posts over there, plus his jammed full PM box, Simon01 apparently uses each new edition to lure new "annual" subscribers, sends them a copy or two, then stiffs them.

WaxiT is not completely fraudulent. Seems that Simple Simon hand delivers the current issue hot off the presses to a few of his buds. What a guy!

I know you`re lurking, Simon. If you`ve got a legitimate explanation for this mess, we`re all ears.
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

So...I have been into car mags for some time...spent much of my college career pining over hot Imports and modifications. As a mechanical engineer by education (detailer by choice), I am always about tools, girls and hot cars...I am sure that a sweet mix of that...minus the fore mentioned tunnel / scratch installing equipment...and we have some sweet reading material. I would read it...I am almost 2 steps from saying I`ll put it together...as usual a little more compulsive and less rational on my part...but that is what makes life so fun.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, any updates on this venture?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess, I`ll be 1/30 to buy, Like Morrison1 stated, this is how I eat, I too love everything about it...

Post Thanks / Like

I think thats a great idea. I want to see what others are doing and their mobile rig set ups and hear about some of the dilemas some have faced and how they were solved. I hope everyone agrees on it.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Working with columnist for Car Collector, and Muscle car Review for several years content is always hard to find month after month. Many rely on contacts in the target industry for subject matter. Filling a whole magazine could be even harder to keep intrest. Distribution, printing, layout would make it very difficult to realize any break even costs.

However contacting publications with a draft for a column within may be the way to go you might be surprized. They would carry the burden of near all the cost and a monthly article would be easier to maintain and "fill" plus giving readers a more broad spectrum to keep intrest. Then just let people know what magazine it is featured in. Finding the right platform to place it would be the trick.

I`m sure there`s plenty of input here to come up with good topics without taking away from the interactive exerience of a forum such as this.

Maybe even a simple sign up monthly E-mail newsletter. This is what my tax attorney does. Just a thought.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

You should have some female models next to the detailed rides, I`m sure you`ll make some kind of profit then
    Get your shine on!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information