Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow Book

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow Book

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    No recourse through your payment services group?
    Payment services group?

They were charging like 3 times what the "true yellow pages" were charging me.

The atty general of md took the whole thing to court and won. They did this to tons of people.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Payment services group?

They were charging like 3 times what the "true yellow pages" were charging me.

The atty general of md took the whole thing to court and won. They did this to tons of people.
    Accounts payable or the credit card company.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Accounts payable or the credit card company.
    They sent bills. My book keeper brought the bill to me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used/use

Yellow Book 163.oo/Month
    Dex 160.00 MOnth
    Smart Search book 150.00 Month
    702 Communications 205/ Year
    Golf Course Golf Card 200/ Year season
    Website 100.00/ Year

For the first few years you may want to advertise till your biz builds up then start to down grade as the years go by..

I do about 16,500-21,000 in sales/Month for wholesale/Dealers and only 1000-5000.00 /month in retail...

I dont think advertising in all books is worth it my .02
    I get new calls everyday from the phone book and you best have your sales skills ready on every call..
    You can always talk them down in price also...
    Kevin Smith

Straightlinedetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just posting a follow-up on this topic.

I received the yellowbook and the Ad looks good. They even bolded my phone number an increased the font not sure why but it cannot hurt to have your number being the largest on the page.

I received my first call today for a quote - lol a full interior detail. However, I was able to seal the deal with a price range not a quote and will be detailing the interior on Saturday.

The yellowbook hit doors on March 1st, so hopefully I`ll catch some more business from the yellowbook Ad.
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Occupant Ilied Industries occupant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t picked up a print Yellow Pages outside of looking for pizza places when out of town since 2001. The internet has replaced it all. I have a small regional phone book in the trunk of my car. I think I still have one from Fort Worth running around here somewhere. But I never use it.

For $28 a month, well, I like to think of things in terms of annual, so that`s $336 a year. If the ad brings in more than that much, then it`s worth it. Three one-time customers at $120 a pop for full details. If you get a single repeat customer out of the ad, it will pay for itself as long as you keep that customer happy.

That`s not bad. I thought Yellow Pages ads cost much more than that. If a small (business card size?) ad costs $28 a month I`ll put one in the Waco phonebook and then use two-liners in all the little regional ones. I`ll want to cover everything within a half hour drive of the lot so that`d be Hillsboro, Corsicana, Mexia, Fairfield, Malone, Hubbard, Penelope, Bynum, West, Abbott, Whitney...

uh, on second though, maybe I`ll just stick to Hubbard and Hillsboro. Geez, there`s a lot of little towns around here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuddleston View Post

I received the yellowbook and the Ad looks good. They even bolded my phone number an increased the font not sure why but it cannot hurt to have your number being the largest on the page.

I received my first call today for a quote - lol a full interior detail. However, I was able to seal the deal with a price range not a quote and will be detailing the interior on Saturday.
    The yellowbook hit doors on March 1st, so hopefully I`ll catch some more business from the yellowbook Ad.
    Good for you! Already starting to pay off and it`s still early! May prove to be a winner for you.

occupant, You`ve got to cover Abbott! Never can tell when Willie might need a wash-n-wax. Don`t forget about Itasca and Milford. Been a while since I last stopped in to the Czech Stop for some goodies!
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuddleston View Post

Keep this in mind. That one customer might bring you 3 of their friends, coworkers, or family members. Then those people might do the same. One ad and some word of mouth can get a business off the ground. I suggest posting free ads on places like craigslist. It don`t cost a thing and you can say as much about your business as you want. I get a lot of work from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow Book.....any phone book print for that matter sucks.

Print is dying, if not already dead. Look at your local newspaper classified ads and compare them today to how filled they were say 10 or even 5 years ago. Craigslist, Ebay and the likes of Angies List have killed traditional print.

We were stupid enough to get an ad in the phone book and we have not had ONE person contact us from it. We ask everyone how they found us when they come into our shop and they say:

1) Google
    2) Word of mouth

Don`t do it.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like

While I`m not a strong proponent of Yellow Book advertising, I`m sure not going to say it`s a dead media. I have at least 3 at home, and yes I will refer to them on occasion.

A Wall Street Journal survey of 1000 businesses w/25 or fewer companies (source D& showed 6 of 10 still ran Yellow Pages ad. Those companies attributed 21% of new business to those ads; 19% word of mouth; 12% websites.

A research said that 61% use printed Yellow Pages for local business info with 13% using search engines.

It should be noted that this data is @ 2 years old, so you could expect some shifts in data but not likely a total reversal. And in shuddleston`s case he has seen an immediate return.
    --Will Rogers

Occupant Ilied Industries occupant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw shoot, I`m not going into a detailing business. I`ll be selling cheap used cars for cash. Beater World: because everyone drives a beater! The question remains where my lot will go, I like a place for $27K in Hubbard but it may not be available when I have the money. I like a place here in Malone but the owners don`t want to sell or rent it or even give me a price if they did. So I may end up leasing an old gas station in Hillsboro for $600 a month and hope I get an option to buy.

Either way, I think the Waco and Hillsboro books will get my listing, depending on costs associated with a good sized ad. Something the size of a business card (1/12th page or 1/8th page I guess) and I don`t really need full color either so it ought to be cheap.

As far as all the little regional books, if it`s cheap, I`ll do those too. I know that when people move around these rural areas that sometimes that little knockoff book is all they have to contact people with. I guess the best thing to do is not spend too much money on a low volume or relatively ignored book. But if they`re desperate to fill ad pages, and want to offer me a great cheap rate with no long-term contract, I`m good for it!

Post Thanks / Like

yellow pages are great when your first starting out. get the biggest size add you can afford. list everything you specialize in, to give the customer a reason to call you. when they call put your selling shoes on and get the appointment.
    Once you have been in business for a while the internet is the way to go...the yellow pages are soon to be a thing of the past. just this year I cut my yellow ad down from 360.00 per month to 74.00 per month. most of my business comes from repeat and referrals and the internet along side my website.
    The best advertisement going is Face Book and Twitter, it`s FREE and if you have enough friends and followers you change your add by the min,hour day etc..
    LOST YOUR GLOSS ? COME GLOW WITH US !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information