Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Idea?

I had my Camry serviced a few weeks back, by an indy shop. While dropping off the car there was a flier about detailing sitting on the counter. I picked one up and was reading about the services.

The service manager asked me if I was interested in getting my car detailed while it was serviced. I handed him my card and declined

However I asked about how it all worked, he has a guy that comes by and dose mobile detailing at their garage. He said that its become more popular as people are hanging onto cars longer now. The shop just adds that onto the bill and then the shop pays the detailer direct.

Now I was thinking about how many indy shops there are and having a good mobile detailer on staff as an out source for their service. I would think that the best targets would be the higher end European indy shops, but any good clean run garage would be a good source for detailing services

Just a thought is all
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting Idea?

sounds good . you would have to price a commision into the job and maybe some rent if you could get some space there
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigron62 View Post
    sounds good . you would have to price a commision into the job and maybe some rent if you could get some space there
    Ron,

At this location they provided a space on the side of the building with some water available. I didn`t ask how the break out worked for the detailer, meaning what his cut was. I would think that the garage would offer this up as a service only to keep the customers coming back, not necessarily for profit to them.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Interesting Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Ron,

At this location they provided a space on the side of the building with some water available. I didn`t ask how the break out worked for the detailer, meaning what his cut was. I would think that the garage would offer this up as a service only to keep the customers coming back, not necessarily for profit to them.
    I would think if you pay the shop for the repair and also the detail in 1 bill, they would be responsible for any problems. This said, if a customer has a detail related problem the shop owner is in the middle. If this is sold as an add on totally separate from the shop they can then charge the Mobil guy a fee for electric,water and so on. This will not add extra liability to the shop owner, and gives them an out when a problem should arise.

I would also agree that it could be a good situation for both parties. Some will be happy to get service and a detail within the same place. I would like to know how many shops would be happy to honor such a partnering up with a detailer? Also knowing how the economy is right now its about getting people in and offering lots of service under one roof.

My feelings are, if this is a working money making idea the shop will add some staff and offer the service using there own employees. Remember if they see money going out the back door they will want to keep it inside for themselves. It could be a test run, just to gather intelligence on how to improve there bottom line.

" REMEMBER, NEVER TRUST ANYONE ANYTIME, AND ABSOLUTELY NEVER TRUST THOSE BEARING GIFTS OF ANY KIND "

Post Thanks / Like

There could be a liability form on the shop parts. I don`t know, but you bring up a good point

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I had an arrangement with one of those quick oil change places like a jiffy lubeand they did the same thing they would tack on the detail charges on the customers bill then they would pay me. The only problem was timing if they took in a car and sold a detail more times than not the cust. wanted it all done on the same visit.This created enough of a problem that I had to give it up, I couldnt be on standby for this shop and still try to work my cust. cars we even tried setting aside Wed. as the day for walkin cust
    frankie k`s auto kleen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karwaxer View Post
    I had an arrangement with one of those quick oil change places like a jiffy lubeand they did the same thing they would tack on the detail charges on the customers bill then they would pay me. The only problem was timing if they took in a car and sold a detail more times than not the cust. wanted it all done on the same visit.This created enough of a problem that I had to give it up, I couldnt be on standby for this shop and still try to work my cust. cars we even tried setting aside Wed. as the day for walkin cust
    Yea I could see where timing could be a hassle big time.

Thanks

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

How about you contact the garages with your detailing service. As an added on service of the garage they recommend you as their detailer. They put you in contact with the client and you book the detail on your own calendar. Then a kick back to the garage for the lead referral?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Had 2 small family owned gas stations they let me put a sign in one of thier windows and had my cards on display paid each owner $75 per month for april thru dec. no charge for Jan thru march ( im in ny and dont really work those months ) work out well for about 2 years then they kept asking for more noney so that also ended
    frankie k`s auto kleen

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karwaxer View Post
    Had 2 small family owned gas stations they let me put a sign in one of thier windows and had my cards on display paid each owner $75 per month for april thru dec. no charge for Jan thru march ( im in ny and dont really work those months ) work out well for about 2 years then they kept asking for more noney so that also ended
    That`s a good way to end the relationship for sure. They can ask for extra rent "money for nothing" or it`s there way of pushing you out and adding in house people.

You gotta watch every angle nowadays.

Thread Information