Thread: What to charge

Post Thanks / Like

What to charge

I have put this post on another web site would like to know what wa`ll think.

I know that i give a lot better wash and in side clean up job then most detailers around where im at. The problem is it takes me at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours to just do the out side. when i do a wash i will use a small brush to get in all the cracks and that takes some extra time and i all so blow dry the car also. And i also wipe down with a detail spray just to make shore i can get all the water spots off . I am about $5 to $10 more than every one else @ I charge $30 for in side & out side. And with the time a have in to the detail total would be about 3 hours. Should i try harder to sell my serves and go for $45 to $50 or just cut down on what a do.
    I KNOW I NEED SOME HELP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to charge

I`ll give you an example of different sorts.

If I go out to eat, I don;t care if something cost 2.00 or 76.00, do not let me leave hungry, and it bettr taste good.

So do you really want to lower your quality or what you do?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds more like you have to find a way to improve your process, not cut corners but find a way to do what you do more efficiently.
    This way you can hold your price but yet still deliver the quality that will eventually bring in more business.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02 View Post
    Sounds more like you have to find a way to improve your process, not cut corners but find a way to do what you do more efficiently.
    This way you can hold your price but yet still deliver the quality that will eventually bring in more business.
    and you might offer different packages

and throw in a duck fart free dude
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn`t be spending that much time doing washes for customers. If you do, you need to rename them because they are more than simple washes. I call mine mini details and they start at $45. They take me about 45 minutes. More than one car in one place at one time can sometimes warrant a discount.

Think about who your target customer is and tailor your services to meet their needs. It`s that simple. Don`t be a steak trying to compete with a Big Mac.

You have to evaluate how much money you are making for the time you are investing. A simple labor rate doesn`t always work either because drive time needs to be considered.

More labor intensive jobs should draw a higher labor rate too IMO. I used to try to make the same amount per hour buffing on a boat as I do buffing on a car. Now I make sure I make more per hour on a boat because it`s harder on me and if that`s the case I want to be paid more for the harder work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks every one you all have been a great help.
    I KNOW I NEED SOME HELP

Post Thanks / Like

tellum its like this,take it to tornado wash they will charge you $20-$30 they will spend maybe 10 minutes actually workin on there car (with harsh chemicals) "after no telling what kinda perm damage from tornado wash". You will spend a couple hours working on it "doing it right" I would charge at least $45(cars) $65(trucks/suv) They are no doubt getting a better deal letting you do it. Plus they don`t have to hang out at TORNADOWORLD listen to cryin babys

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell my customers that I can`t compete with the local car wash and the explain the difference between their service and mine, I then ask them to stand over the car with me while I sell the job while explaining what my service is and give them my time estimate @ $30 per hour, (quick detail around 4 hours inside and out) then if they still want a tunnelwash experience I hand them one of my bussiness cards and direct them to the nearest tunnelwash, but not before inviting them to call me for some future auto pampering. Bottom line is that I am a detailer not a car washer and after explaining the difference the customer usually gives the job to me anyway. And when they do they always rave about the results and tell others. I tell them that my main objective is to associate my name with high quality work. I can do this because I have a regular full time job and never have trouble selling what I do on my terms for the extra money jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    Don`t be a steak trying to compete with a Big Mac.
    Yeah, don`t be a steak trying to compete with T-Mac
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Thread Information